Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is my HDD broken?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Masterchiefxx17 
#1 ·
New computer, new parts, Hard drive is about 2 weeks old and is now failing. It has been disconnecting for about a week and won't appear on the system again until the computer is restarted. Today I changed both the port on the motherboard that the SATA cable plugs into as well as the power supply.

I attempted to transfer data from one folder to another on the HDD to only be greeted with this after about 20 Mins;

Soon after it completely disconnected again;

So is my HHD broken? The transfer rate went as high as a 100mb/s and then gradually to 0. Device manager also doesn't seem able to differentiate the HHD from my SSD

Extra Info
OS runs on SSD, C:
HHD is used for storage, D:
Intel RST hasn't detected problems in either drive

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi @Dominus Storm!

I'm sorry to hear about what is happening with the HDD, I know how unpleasant such a thing is...

Can you see if the hard disk is appearing in BIOS or not? If it's not showing up there, then try another cable like @spunk.funk wrote, or plug it in another PC to see if the same thing will happen there as well.

If the drive is recognized in BIOS though (or appears in the second PC) then you can boot from Linux Live CD and see if you'll be able to access the data. In order to do that just download/burn the ISO image to a CD or USB and change the boot order to the media you burned the Linux on. Once it loads, you could try and mount the drive (or if Linux can read it, it will mount by itself) and see if you can transfer the files from the external. You can find more information in this Ubuntu Help article if you want:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

Once the data is extracted run a diagnostic test on the HDD as suggested by @Masterchiefxx17.

Hope this helps and let us know how it went. :)

#5 · (Edited)
Following your advice I've changed the SATA cable to one that I'm 100% works as it was the one my SSD was using: Nothing changed, same problem. I've switched the power connector: No change. I've run diagnostics and tests through various programs: no errors, perfectly fine (excluding when the tests fail due to the drive disconnecting). Event manager error when it disconnects: "Disk 1 has been surprise removed".

As the tests above show the drive simply turns off, However, only when data is being written as one of the tests have proven. So could this be a power problem? unfortunately I'm unable to test using another computer.

I should also clarify that as the HDD is only used for storage, my computer doesn't write onto it automatically, with the disk usage staying at a near constant 0%. The drive works perfect until: A) An application runs off of the drive, causing it to disconnect or B) Data starts being written causing little to no transfer rate until minutes later when it disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.