Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Is my hard drive faulty?

This is a discussion on Is my hard drive faulty? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I just built two computers and the first one is running great, after setting up BIOS installing the OS

Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I just built two computers and the first one is running great, after setting up BIOS installing the OS updating drivers everything works like a champ. However, on the second computer the hard drive made a beeping sound at boot up, I looked up the beeping codes and figured it might have been the keyboard. So i hooked in my other keyboard and the the beeping stopped, but then a sound came from my Hard drive and it sounds like its scraping or grinding. Fairly loudly, It might be the disc spinning. Also the beeps were deriving from my hard drive in the first place. So i am not sure if the keyboard was the real issue. Anyways the Hard Drive will grind for a while then turn on again. If anyone has some help please let me know. Thank you.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Grinding sounds from the drive typically indicate physical damage to the drive.

The heads are probably scraping the platters as they spin.

If you're able to get anywhere in the boot, you might be able to test the drive to make sure. But my money's on a physically damaged drive, and I would RMA it if possible.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Okay, Thank you. I am going to RMA it just to be safe. Its still able to be returned. I bought it from new-egg i just wanted to get a second opinion. A good sound to compare it to is the sound of scratching off a fresh lottery ticket.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search