Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] invalid opcode using Killdisk

15K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 · (Edited)
No BSOD's involved in this problem.
Computer is Dell Inspiron laptop, Vista 64bit Home Prem., Intel T6600 core 2, Mobile Intel 4 chipset.
My problem is the computer no longer functions. It takes a very long time to start any program. There is a delay when moving the mouse for the cursor to respond. Can't turn on the security system. Can't delete anything.
Using AVAST free antivirus, 1 threat was detected but program hangs up at 62% scanned. Always in the User/Appdata/Temp. section. Prior to my problem, AVAST showed no virus' or malware. When problem presented itself, I had computer scanned at Staples. They showed 100+ virus' and 100+ malware. I was then informed that antivirus software didn't remove the virus, only prevented the virus from going further. Never knew that. So I decided to redo my system. Wipe/erase the HDD & reload Vista.
I had a old copy of Killdisk. Booted killdisk and got the "Invalid opcode" followed by a string of numbers. It was an old version of Killdisk I was using, so I downloaded the current version, created a boot disk and tried again.
Same response. The invalid opcode is at;
000B 0000 0402 0911 0262 0702 0702 0A83 0D96 214E 0000 0000 0000
I could do nothing further at this point.
Is there a way around this? Thanks to all in advance and you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: invalid opcode using Killdisk

Sounds like you have bad sectors on your hard drive.

Download, burn to CD and run Seatools for Dos and check the surface of your hard-drive. If your drive is Seagate it may try to re-allocate and replace the bad sectors with others that it has spare.

The only other possibility and it's only a temporary workaround, is to use a partition manager to create partitions "around the faulty area. Try using HDAT2 to check the drive for bad sectors (you can even try to wipe the drive) but the truth is that the drive is on its way out and should be replaced ASAP

#3 ·

Killdisk will wipe the drive. Before you do that, Download and run Temp File Cleaner
Once it reboots, go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will run at next bootup and try and Fix any bad sectors, this may take a long time. If this hangs or fails, then the HDD needs to be replaced.
For a second opinion, you can follow Done_Fishin's suggestion, and download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature, burn the image to CD using ImGBurn, also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the drive. If either test fails the HDD needs to be replaced.
If you still want to Wipe your drive, and you are having a problem with KillDisk, then download DBAN Please backup any files you want to keep before doing this. You will need to reinstall Windows and all programs after this, so be sure you have those discs ready.

#4 ·

Bear in Mind, if you have a hard drive Make other than Seagate or Maxtor, SEATOOLS will probably not even communicate with the drive :ermm:(say WD, Quantum, Plextor, HGST, Hitachi, Fujitsu, or Toshiba). If it's a WD you can download DLG diagnostic free from WD.com. If other, post back and we can recommend something.

:noel: HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! :grin:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#5 ·

Bear in Mind, if you have a hard drive Make other than Seagate or Maxtor, SEATOOLS will probably not even communicate with the drive :ermm:(say WD, Quantum, Plextor, HGST, Hitachi, Fujitsu, or Toshiba). If it's a WD you can download DLG diagnostic free from WD.com. If other, post back and we can recommend something.

:noel: HAPPY HOLIDAYS!! :grin:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Unless things have changed since Version 1.10 SEATOOLS is the only GOOD diagnostics program that tests all drives from all manufacturers with the added bonus that for its own drives (Seagate & Maxtor) it will also let you wipe the drives.

Most of the dedicated software that Manufacturers bring out refuse to run when they can't find their own brand drive. Also I have seen Seatools flag up bad sectors on Western Digital drives and when that drive was tested with Western Digitals own diagnostics program it was given a clean bill of health and further checking with Seatools found nothing. That implies that rather than tell the user that Western Digital found problems and repaired them, it repairs any problems that it finds (if it can) and hides the facts from the user. Seatools stops testing after 99 bad sectors. It lists all segments that it has found bad if it manages to complete the long test and asks if you want to replace those bad sectors giving the user the option to replace or ignore. Shame their drives aren't as good as their Diagnostics tool !

#6 ·

took Done Fishin's advice and bought new HDD, as Seatools and HDAT2 both encountered the "invalid opcode" msg. Going merrily on my way reloading Vista(64) and supporting drivers/software. Reload disk contained IE7. Got to complacent. I don't remember exactly what I was attempting when I got the msg. that IE7 did not support this action. Sorry about the vagueness. I will pay closer attention this time. Anyway, I tried to update to IE9. Got msg. that installer was incorrect. Didn't know there was a IE9 64 bit version. But, it was to late. IE7 wouldn't open the MSFT website or any other website. Nothing. Used another computer to try to find out why. Shut off all the addons. Shut off firewall. Followed instructions to uncheck various boxes in IE7 internet options connections LAN settings. None were checked to begin with. Pretty disgusted by now, so I am going to try erasing the new HDD just in case, and start over.
Using both old and new versions of Killdisk resulted in "invalid opcode" I am right back where I started. Can a virus reach the BIOS? The more I think about it, my problems started while trying to install McAfee Total Protection.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your responses.

#7 · (Edited)

If you still want to Wipe your drive, and you are having a problem with KillDisk, then download DBAN
You do not need to wipe your drive, I would start again by Booting off of the Vista disc, after choosing your Language, Choose Custom Install, then Drive Options, Delete the Partitions on the new HDD. Then Install Windows. Windows will create new partitions and format them automatically. Do not install IE9, Do all of the Windows Updates, which should include IE11. If you see an error message wright it down, and tell us what software you were installing when you saw it.

#9 ·

@Spunk: Not sure where you're going with this one; I know you know that Vista any version can not support IE11 or even IE10. If his Vista can't run IE9 then he has a possible hardware fault :cry:(probably not the new HDD), could be RAM as suggested or he messed up Vista reinstallation *common*. As you say, if he didn't DELETE the partitions he could have scrambled his install by picking incorrect options or attempting to do a dual OS boot without getting Vista working with IE9 first. <<<BBJ>>>

You do not need to wipe your drive, I would start again by Booting off of the Vista disc, after choosing your Language, Choose Custom Install, then Drive Options, Delete the Partitions on the new HDD. Then Install Windows. Windows will create new partitions and format them automatically. Do not install IE9, Do all of the Windows Updates, which should include IE11. If you see an error message wright it down, and tell us what software you were installing when you saw it.

#8 ·

"Invalid opcode" suggests that the CPU has tried to execute an instruction that doesn't exist. This could be due to a memory fault.

I would test system RAM with memtest86 or memtest86+. Alternatively, if there are two or more sticks of RAM, I would remove each stick in turn and try Killdisk again.

#10 ·

I have successfully reloaded my wife's laptop. It took awhile, but I formatted the hdd, reloaded Vista with Dell recovery disks, then connected to the 'net and downloaded and installed ALL the updates. When the 250+ updates concluded, I had IE9 and my problems were over.
I would like to thank all who responded to my post. You have given me some good advice and some tools for future reference.
Happy New Year to all and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.