Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Invalid MS-DOS function

This is a discussion on Invalid MS-DOS function within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Long version Alright, I've been stuck with problem for a month and I really should try to figure it out

Old 06-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Long version
Alright, I've been stuck with problem for a month and I really should try to figure it out now. The problem started just suddenly without warning, however I did drop the computer with the hardware from about 5 CM height a few weeks before that so I thought maybe it was because of that.

One of my secondary hard drives (Samsung EcoGreen F4EG HD204UI, 2TB) containing data gets the message "Invalid MS-DOS function." when I try to add a folder, or file to the hard drive. I havn't gotten this error when moving files away from the drive.
(at this point i suspected hardware damage)

I tried searching this error but it only got me some vague answers and stuff that doesn't seem to work or not apply to me (mostly hardware damage, which i don't think it is still)

I tried making a copy of the drive (through windows file transfer), this didn't give problems however the back-up drive also has the same problem not (then i suspected files being corrupt)

I then ran the samsung HDD tool thingy that's on hiren's boot CD, which gave no errors.
I think I also tried to some file system scans through hiren's boot but I think one of them gave nothing but was finished after 2 minutes or so, and another one took several days, i let it run but the program crashed after a day with some ram error so yeah xD

Anyways, at this point I'm not really sure what to do. Any help is welcome but I think a good program to scan for file damage could help. Preferably one that doesn't take 5 days to scan :P

tl;dr version
- Invalid MS-DOS function error when adding new files (not when reading them)
- copy of drive has the exact same issue
- Samsung HDD tool thing finds no errors.
- Need maybe a good software to check all my files for some sort of corruption or any other help

Thanks for the help ^^
Nightfoxx

Old 06-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
I did drop the computer with the hardware from about 5 CM height a few weeks before
Try running Check Disk on the drive, go to Start/Search and type CMD Right click the CMD icon in the Search Results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type the drive letter of the external (ex) F: and press enter (ex) F:\> now type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive. Check Disk should fix any errors. You can also try running HDD Regenerator from the Hirens CD to check for bad sectors on the HDD caused by a fall.

spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

forgot to add, chkdsk is impossible. Because of the error it doesn't work.

EDIT: after removing the partition I can run chkdsk it seems, I'll try and see how it goes.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Alright so after formatting the drive I was able to do a chkdsk, it gave the message "adding 219943159 bad clusters to the bad cluster file".
I tried going back to the store with it but they said they didn't see anything wrong (they use a different software to quickly check the disk status, since chkdsk takes hours)

Any suggestions? :<

It also said "The second NTFS boot sector is unwritable"
Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

chkdsk also said "The second NTFS boot sector is unwritable". Not sure what that means or if it's relevant
Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Sounds like the store was trying to get rid of you. I would backup all data on the drive and do a full format (not a quick) this will mark all bad sectors. Or better yet RMA it back to Samsung and get a refurbished one back in return. Include all notes of what you have done and the stores response.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Hmh, funny story, I can't even format the drive anymore now :P not through windows anyway. They're gonna have to take it back now.
Normally they instantly give stuff back (frankly a lot of the stuff from that store is damaged and needs to be returned within the first few months from my experience :P)
They gave me a printout of the tests they ran though. But frankly i'm not sure what it all means and chances are that they just gave it to me because I don't know what it means xD Here's a scan: http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/912/scanimage01.jpg
Old 06-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

that is simply a reading of the drives smart values using the program hd tune pro. it does show as healthy. normally any bad sectors etc would show up.

I'm not saying they or the test are right.

what os are you running? the 2tb samsung is an advanced format disc. if you are using xp there is an alignment tool that needs to be ran.

Samsung Advanced Format Utility: Installation

can't find the actual link now that seagate took them over.

also that drive had firmware issues and needed a firmware upgrade

https://www.google.com/search?q=sams...ient=firefox-a
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Registered Member

I have tried this on several OSes but it's the same issue everywhere. Not using XP though, only server 2008, win7 and i tried on ubuntu too
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the files are backed up on the drive. Go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc right click the diskmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In Disk Management highlight the partition/volume of the drive and Delete it. Then right click the Unallocated Space and Create a New Simple Volume and Format it NTFS. Run Check Disk on the drive and if it all comes out good, copy the backed up date to the drive again, and do check disk one more time.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
Registered Member

Well, previously I already moved all the data from the broken drive to another drive of the same type and the data is also corrupted there. And if gives the same weird error thingy