Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internal Hard Drive USB adapter

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bmsbms29 
#1 ·
I have a 2TB hard-drive that is thick, it was an internal hard drive in a tower.
Whenever I connect my SATA to USB cable it won't do anything i think it's because it's not getting enough power to connect.

Can someone recommend a product I can buy to access the Data from the fat internal hard drive through my laptop via USB.

#2 · (Edited)
because it's not getting enough power to connect.
By a Thick HDD do you mean a 3.5" Desktop HDD, on the right, as opposed to a 2.5" Notebook HDD, on the left?
2.5" HDD's do not require external power, but a 3.5" HDD requires external power. Are you hooking up a power plug to your HDD when using the USB Adapter? If not, it will not work.
Any USB Adapter or Dock with a power adapter will work

Attachments

#3 ·
All hard drives have to cable connections to them; a power cable and a data cable. The power cable should be a 4 pin molex or a SATA power cable.

Here a picture of a molex to sata adatper....this shows both cable connection types.
Electronics accessory Cable Electronic device Technology Networking cables

Are you sure you have both cables connected to the drive - power and data?

#5 ·
Your USB to SATA adapter should include a power adapter, like the adapter shown in the Amazon link. If you aren't using that, a 3.5" HDD will not power up. You can get a USB adapter, Dock or USB Enclosure with a power adapter from any computer store, or online to access this HDD.

#9 · (Edited)
When my laptop died I took my laptop to Office Depot to find out if it was my motherboard or my HD or what. - it was the mother board. I just wanted to copy certain files so they let me do the copying & they had a caddy - that was open (not closed/no lid, etc. just a frame) that looked like it would hold the larger HD. Their laptop & caddy kept having problems. It would have cost me $30 + if I had left them just do a backup.

So I left with my HD & bought a $10 caddy that my laptop HD fits in.
I've mentioned that because you don't have to spend a lot of money for it to work.
And mine works great.

#12 ·
In my experience sata to usb and ide to usb converters work about 1/2 the time, and I am not convinced on occasion simply trying the converter does damage to the hard drive. It is so much easier to plug into a desktop and requires no expenditure and little extra hardware, why not find a friend who has one you can visit.

#14 ·
You can live anywhere in the USA and purchase what you need on the internet and have it delivered to you. Either a Dock like @joeten or @Bassfisher suggested or a USB adapter like @BoulderBill suggested. I use a USB 3.0 Dock and a USB Adapter and find they work 100% of the time as long as you use the power adapter. The only time it doesn't work is if the HDD has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.