Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

"Imminent Hard Drive Failure"

This is a discussion on "Imminent Hard Drive Failure" within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I'm having an issue with my 8 month old HP Pavilion laptop and help would be greatly appreciated. A

Old 08-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I'm having an issue with my 8 month old HP Pavilion laptop and help would be greatly appreciated. A few days ago when I turned my computer on, I got a screen warning me about an imminent hard driver failure. I pressed Enter to continue and it seemed to be working fine, I ran my anti-virus and I used CCleaner on my registry, though I didn't think those would do anything. The only thing that happened was the occasional pop-ups warning me about a hard drive problem, telling me to back-up immediately. I was hoping it would go away after a day or two but it's still here and I'm getting annoyed. I hit F2 this morning on the black warning screen and did a hard drive test, it told me it failed the SMART test. I did some searching online and found HDDScan and here's the results of the scan.

Model: TOSHIBA MK6465GSX
Firmware: GJ002C
Serial: X0RUD024B
LBA: 1250263728

Report By: HDDScan for Windows version 3.3
Report Date: 8/3/2011 4:15:04 PM

here's a link to a picture of the real results

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

So I'd like to know what I should do to fix this problem. Like I said, my laptop seems to be running fine apart from the startup screen and the occasional pop-ups. All of my data is backed up to external drives so it's not the end of the world if the drive crashes, but man it would still be a pain. Let me know if you need any more info to help you get a better idea. Thank you!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

sounds like the hard drive is on its way out. Do you hear any clicking from the hard drive at all?

go to run/search type cmd
chkdsk /r from the command console if that works leave it alone and everything should be fine if not try chkdsk /f

if none work you will probably have to replace the hard drive and reinstall windows and your motherboard drivers.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

I was afraid that was the case. What do those issues highlighted by the HDD Scan mean? I'm surprised since I only got the computer this year. Is there no way to repair it without getting it replaced. I'm having trouble finding my Windows 7 disk.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

run the commands I said the ymay fix the issues.

Looks like you have bad sectors which can be cause by currpt data, fragmented files, heat, hard drive being damaged in someway

basically the error you are getting means that there is sector damage on the drive

Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

For both commands I get

"Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
You need to invoke this utility running in elevated mode."

I'm the only user on the computer and I'm the administrator.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Ubuntu > Mac > Windows

OS: Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, Windows 7 Starter SP1 (netbook)

My System

Try right-clicking on cmd, and select run as administrator.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:15 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by afccarl666 View Post
Try right-clicking on cmd, and select run as administrator.
This

Old 08-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Registered Member

I ran chkdsk /r with no problems, but when it restated the warning screen appeared again. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to take it to a computer place to see if it needs to be repaired or completely replaced.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

try the chkdsk /f

Old 08-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

also try and run sfc /scannow from the run box

Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Do NOT run chkdsk on this disk. This is a physical issue chkdsk only works for logical recoveries. The failures are due to too many physically bad sectors, chkdsk cannot do anything for those. As the bad sector count continues the g-list of the drive will get filled. Once that exceeds it's capacity the drive will cease reponding. Backup and replace immediately.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_pa View Post
Do NOT run chkdsk on this disk. This is a physical issue chkdsk only works for logical recoveries. The failures are due to too many physically bad sectors, chkdsk cannot do anything for those. As the bad sector count continues the g-list of the drive will get filled. Once that exceeds it's capacity the drive will cease reponding. Backup and replace immediately.
Thanks for enlighting me on this. Would check disk not identify how many bad sectors there are and if any can be recovered at all?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Ubuntu > Mac > Windows

OS: Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, Windows 7 Starter SP1 (netbook)

My System

Ahhh I know a bit about this. A drive keeps a list of all the sectors that are physically bad. When this list reaches a certain size, the drive will no longer be accessible at all. Chkdsk can't repair physical damage to the drive.

Running chkdsk would identify bad sectors, but if it finds too many, you would be left with the above scenario.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Yep yep, chkdsk also marks the bad sectors in the OS bad block table, but cannot manipulate the glist. The glist is populated only during a write operation, to prevent loss of data. If the sector can't be written to, then it is marked bad. Chkdsk on a physically failing drive can also move data into the CHK files, which makes recovery much more troublesome.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

You know this is not totally true as checkdisk can hide bad sectors from Windows unless of course there are way too many, but this drive is only 8 months old, what do we really think the odds are of that?
Do we know what brand this hard drive is? I mean if this is a Seagate or Samsung, I would replace it simply because it is but I wonder if we aren't being a bit extreme here.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Based on the attached smart data, I don't think it is being extreme. We see a LOT of drives with better smart reports get trashed by chkdsk. While chkdsk my add the sectors to the windows $badblock table, it doesn't address the root issue. The SMART data is reported from the drive itself, not the OS. The fact that it is 8 months old, best bet is to recover the data and RMA the drive while still under warranty. With a SMART report like that after 8 months, that is not a drive you want to trust your data to, regardless of who the manufcaturer is. Bad blocks are never truly repaired, only remapped, and the cause may be weak/failing heads as well as physically bad blocks. There is no way for SMART to diagnose the actual cause.