Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I have doubts if I should replace my current hard drive

852 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  milonggomes2000 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, first of all I must say I do not know anything about computers, I don't even know if this is the right place to post this but anyway:

Lately I have been using an old computer which belonged to my father so expect it to be all outdated.
Recently I have found a hard drive (I think) which the photo is attached.

I don't really know where to see my current hard drive model but I think I found it in computer management:
It says Disk Drives: ST360021A

So can someone please tell me if I should replace my 'ST360021A' for a 'IBM IC35L040AVER07-0' ?

If you need me to post something else please say.
Thank you very much

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
why do you want to change the drive - is there a problem
Do you have a set of recovery DVDs for that PC or a genuine copy of windows?
As you will need to re-install windows onto the PC - unless you plan to use another OS
Does the PC have a DVD / CD player ?

What windows version is running
Whats the make and exact model of the PC ?

The IBM IC35L040AVER07-0' is a 3.5" drive - quite small in size from what info I can see 41GB only

The ST360021A appears to be the same 3.5 drive and interface - but maybe larger size 60GB

#3 ·
why do you want to change the drive - is there a problem
Do you have a set of recovery DVDs for that PC or a genuine copy of windows?

What windows version is running
Whats the make and exact model of the PC ?
I do not have any disk now.

I'm changing because I think it's a bit outdated, I don't think I can run anything on it. In your opinion do you think it's worth to change?

I have windows XP professional service pack 3. I really do not know the model of my computer since it was my father who built piece by piece since he deceased I don't really know what should I do.

#4 ·
There would be no reason to replace the drive unless you are getting some sort of errors or you need more disk space. The drive itself, aside from having enough free space to hold your software, has nothing to do with what you can "run on it". If software won't run, it's more likely an issue with other hardware (ie: cpu, video card, audio chipset).

It is a small drive, based on current standards, but unless you need more space, it's not an issue.

#6 ·
To add to what JimE is saying. Your Seagate drive that is in the computer the ST360021A. Has a capacity of 60 GB in size. Which is old and small for today's standards. The Replacement drive is also very old being made in 2001. and the Capacity is only 41GB which is even smaller.
It sounds like this is an older computer and not sure if you want to invest more money into it or save you money for a newer computer. But you can update the HDD to a larger one if you are having problems or running out of space. But I would not use the IBM drive for this purpose. If everything is working, then I would just leave it as is, and get a newer computer when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.