Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

I can't set my Hard Drive as Primary Master?

This is a discussion on I can't set my Hard Drive as Primary Master? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had an older computer given to me it is an Intel Celeron 267 MHZ with 128 MB ram award

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 07:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

I had an older computer given to me it is an Intel Celeron 267 MHZ with 128 MB ram award bios not sure of the mobo.
It did not have a cdrom or hard drive in it so I purchased a 52x LG CD-RW and a Maxtor 40 GB Hard Drive.
I left the jumpers the way they were factory(master) I installed the IDE Cables correctly>>Put the Hard Drive into the Primary and the CD-RW into the secondary. I wanted to make my Hard Drive Primary Master.
So after hooking everything up I start up the pc and when it is detecting Primary master it just sits there on that and says press f4 to skip in brackets. I have gone into the Bios and made sure it was set to auto detect.
So after hours of messing with that still nothing. So i tried changing the jumper on the Hard Drive to slave actually I tried them all and the only way I can make it work is by putting the jumper on Cap Limit(cable Select) on the Hard Drive? So i did that and now when it loads up it says Detecting

IDE Primary Master = None
IDE Primary Slave = My Maxtor 40 Gig Hard Drive
IDE Seconday Master = MY LG CD-RW
IDE Secondary Slave = None

OK so i loaded a boot disk and fdisked set primary partition formatted c: loaded win xp seems to work
So is it ok to leave my hard drive as primary slave? I wanted to set my hard drive as Primary Master how do I do this and what am i doing wrong?
ALso now that windows will load up with these settings I look at my hard drive properties and came to find out that my 40 Gig Hard drive is only showing a capacity of 31.4 Gig? Is this because it is not set as primary Master..? Sorry for the dumb questions but could someone please try and help me out?
Thanks in advance

trevormason77@hotmail.com

Old 08-04-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
mark3567

Hi,

Take a look at this and make sure you have ribbon cables the correct place as well as jumper information that you might want to read. See if that helps:

The master and slave jumpers must be set up correctly on your drives as displayed on the top of each drive.

DO NOT mix master and slave with CS (cable select) on the same ribbon cable. If one is Master the other MUST be slave. If one is Cable Select the other one on the same ribbon cable must be Cable Select. (Please note that the majority of hard drives are factory default as Cable Select)

Make sure the drive is placed correctly on the ribbon cable as shown below:

M
O
T
H ==Ribbon Cable=== Slave ===Master (end of cable)
E
R ..................................„» OR „º
B
O == Ribbon Cable==Cable Select==Cable Select (end of cable)
A ..............................( as Slave)……. ( as Master)
R
D

Ribbon Cables and colors of 80 pin cables look and are to be used like this:

Motherboard============Slave==============Master
……….....Blue…….....…….……..Gray……………..........………Black
Make sure a master is always present, because you can not run a slave without a master.

Cables must be the 80 conductor cables for hard drives and never any more than 18” long.

A friend recently told me that with Western Digital if it is the only drive on the cable, the jumper will need to be removed ( try removing the jumper and connect the drive by itself on the IDE channel ) I don’t have Western Digital so I can’t verify this, but might be worth a try

Please note thatt the floppy cable red mark is put on opposite as the regular hard drivers. Otherwise, the red mark faces away from you as you work in the case or you could say it faces the power source for the drive.

Please let us know if you have other questions or need more assistance.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Ok so the jumper on the hard drive should be put on Master if I want the Hard drive to be primary master and I hook the IDE cable into the Primary Connector that is on the motherboard

And the jumper on the CD-RW should be put on slave if I want my CD-RW to be secondary slave and I hook that IDE cable into the Secondary Connector that is on the motherboard

Or should I put the jumper on master in the hard drive and hook the end of the IDE cable to the hard drive and the other end to the primary connector on the motherboard and on that same cable in the middle hook the cd-rw to that and have the cdrw jumper on slave?

sorry for the confusion im just trying to figure this one out I never ran into this problem befor.

Thanks again
Old 08-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

Anyone else have any suggestions on this?
Old 08-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Number one, you should see if you can find a BIOS update, my guess is the BIOS is earlier than mid-late 1999, and 32gigs is the maximum drive size supported. Larger drives will either not be recognized, or hang the boot process, which is what you are witnessing. One place that has a bunch of old BIOS versions upgraded with large disk support is Wim's BIOS Team. I have an old machine that now recognizes 120gig drives where it used to hang on them before I installed the Wim's BIOS. :) Also, take note of the other links to modified BIOS versions at the bottom of the page if your machine isn't in the list.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 08-04-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

wow your still around johwill i remember talking to you 2 years ago and you had the same avatar... I have a couple questions if you don't mind, If i update the bios am i gonna have to reformat my hard drive and lose everything because i have winxp all loaded up and updated? ok should i move the jumper on my HD that is now on cs cable select to master if i want the HD primary master and it is in the primary connector on the mobo. On the secondary IDE Connector on the mobo i have my CD-RW and what should that jumper be at if i want my HD as primary master? Last question... Whats the disadvantages of me having my Hard Drive as Primary Slave and my seconday master is my CD-RW? Because everything seems to work perfect except the Hard drive not showing its full capacity?

Once again thanx for all the help i just would like to figure this out seeing that ive never run into this problem befor
Old 08-04-2004, 02:57 PM   #7
mark3567

Hi,

What you have listed below in your earlier post WILL NOT work:

IDE Primary Slave = My Maxtor 40 Gig Hard Drive (NOT CORRECT)

I would put them both on the same cable and set the Maxtor as Primary master (end of cable) and the CD-RW as Slave (center of cable). Be sure both drives have the jumpers set properly. Remember, it is not possible to have a slave without a master on the same IDE Channel.

Old 08-04-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP

My System

Well, in order to get the full capacity of the hard disk, you'd have to at a minimum dump an image of the data to another disk, reformat without the capacity limitation jumper, and dump the image back. If you don't have another system or disk, and/or the imaging software, it's a reformat I would guess. The BIOS update itself won't cause you to have to reformat.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3567
Hi,

What you have listed below in your earlier post WILL NOT work:

IDE Primary Slave = My Maxtor 40 Gig Hard Drive (NOT CORRECT)

I would put them both on the same cable and set the Maxtor as Primary master (end of cable) and the CD-RW as Slave (center of cable). Be sure both drives have the jumpers set properly. Remember, it is not possible to have a slave without a master on the same IDE Channel.
Ok so this will work^ cause that seems pretty simple i don't care about the reformat doesnt take that long... and do you think if i do this it will show me the maximum capacity of the hard drive(probably not) so i will more than likely have to upgrade the bios which seems pretty scary from all the forums i visited about upgrading the bios. I looked through everything and this is what I came up with but im still not sure what the name of my motherboard is maybe you pros can help me find the correct mobo and the instructions or links onto where i can upgrade this here is what i discovered:

BIOS Date: 04/16/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 04/16/1999-693-596A-BD-2A6LGD4FC
OEM Sign-On: None
Chipset: VIA 82C691 rev 6
Superio: Unknown
CPU: INTEL(R) CELERON(TM) 266 Mhz MAX: 500 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 256 MB
Memory Maximum: 1024 MB
Memory Slot 01: 0 MB
Memory Slot 02: 64 MB
Memory Slot 03: 64 MB
Memory Slot 04: 128 MB

?
Old 08-05-2004, 06:27 AM   #10
Microsoft MVP

My System

You need to look for ANY text descriptions on the MB and try to figure out what MB you have. It's key to identify the correct MB to be able to find the BIOS upgrade.

FWIW, your BIOS does indeed fall into the dates where the 32gig limitation exists.

A couple of other possibilities to use the full capacity is the drive overlay software from the disk manufacturer or an add-on IDE controller, like the Promise IDE models.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have just replaced old drive with Seagate ST 380011A 80 GB capacity after reading discussions here.

My machine is Pentium 450 MHz with same Award Bios as mentioned and non-select ATA cable, e.g. all black connectors.

After a few trials and a lot of reading, the solution was to use Seagate DiskWizard Starter kit which contains 2 bootable floppies to format the new hd. Jumpers on the hd were set to ' Master ', and ' Limit capacity to 32 GB '. This later jumper was necessary to avoid hang condition at boot and once the wizard finishes the limit is software-removed so full 80 GB is available.

Complete Bios changed at $24 was avoided.

The DiskWizard is excellent and easy to use with one exemption: it gives no prompt for disk#2 after reading #1, I have to wait for the drive to quite down with #1, insert #2, then type 'C'. Kind of lucky guess with this 'C' !!.

:razz: