Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to install new GPT SSD with old MBR HDD + Windows 10?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  DataMedics 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a 1TB Legacy BIOS (MBR) HDD with Windows 10 installed.
I will be buying a new 250GB SSD, I want to install Windows 10 on it and use it as the main boot drive.
I'm also looking for the SSD to be GPT and not MBR.
I don't have a CD for any Windows version over here, I've got the serial for Windows 8 though.
Motherboard supports SATA 3 and UEFI not sure how to sort that out though.

The idea is to keep the 1TB HDD (whether MBR or GPT, doesn't matter for me for this drive, whichever is easier) with all its information intact (don't mind using an external HD to back it up) and use it to install random things that don't need the SSD speed/dump big folders like pictures onto it.

I've researched around and although I've retrieved a lot of info I can't seem to piece together how to do this at all! (without a decent degree of wiping everything on this HDD by accident)

Does the new SSD need to go into a certain physical slot? Do I have to reformat the MBR HDD? How do I make the SSD the primary boot drive? What's the best way to get the Windows 10 on it? SATA2/3? D:

The main question is how do I go about this from start to end? Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
Now you can install windows 10 (clean install) and use your windows 8 product key to activate it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home
The idea I'm getting is:
back up stuff (not windows system files, but only personal and program files)
format HDD to FAT32
do BIOS to UEFI somehow, not sure how
remove HDD
put in SSD, choose GPT
reinstall windows somehow, probably through a usb drive
add in HDD
convert it MBR to GPT
put stuff back on the HDD

- wait, do I even need to convert MBR to GPT for it to work with UEFI, or can I just leave it as FAT32, or even NTFS?

Got any answers for the parts in colour?

#6 ·
I am really unclear if you are trying to install 2 copies of Windows with one COA which of course you cannot do and since you have no Windows dvd it seems to me there is only one way to do all of this which is to clone the hard drive version of Windows to the SSD which can be done with Acronis True Image or free Macrium Reflect using Rescue Disk and they should compensate for the size difference bewtween 1 Tb and 250 gb drives. Then delete Windows folder on old hard drive because both cannot boot together and you can only use one COA anyway.

#8 ·
Your motherboard type is irrelevant as Windows still creates an MBR table along with the GPT one for legacy support. Only if you formatted it in a Mac would it make a difference.

However as mentioned GPT isn't necessary unless it's larger than 2Tb or you plan to create more than 4 partitions on it which is the MBR limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.