Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

How do I make my 3Gb/s HDD to work at 1,5 Gb/s as my MB supports?

This is a discussion on How do I make my 3Gb/s HDD to work at 1,5 Gb/s as my MB supports? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Today I bought a Samsung HDD S-ATA 2 500 Gb 7200 RPM 16 Mb Buffer with 3 Gb/s transfer rate

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to morfil

Today I bought a Samsung HDD S-ATA 2 500 Gb 7200 RPM 16 Mb Buffer with 3 Gb/s transfer rate and I was very happy I finally got a good and quiet HDD to download torrents from private trackers and making a hell of a ratio.

Though I knew that my MB Asus K7Upgrade-880 supports only S-ATA with 1,5 GB/s transfer rate, the guy at the store told me that the HDD can be switched to 1,5 Gb/s transfer rate so my MB can accept it by mounting a jumper.

So I he cooled me off with this argument and so I bought the HDD.

But when I got home, the hell unleashed upon me!

First of all, I couldn't find anywhere how to set the jumper to make it running at 1,5 Gb/s!

After this issue, I mounted in my PC thinking that the MB maybe can recognize it easily [the MB has 2 S-ATA slots, one occupied already by my brother's HDD which is S-ATA 1 and works fine]. But, for my nerves, the damn HDD wasn't even screened at the beginning of loading the system [the first lines where you are shown all the connections], only the HDD of my brother. When I entered Windows XP SP 2, the HDD wasn't recognized. I restarted, entered my brother's Linux Ubuntu and the same problem there.

I thought to disconnect my brother's HDD which is S-ATA 1, and try to enter Windows without it. Still no recognized...

I entered CMOS (BIOS), cuz the help book which cam ewith the HDD so was saying. Here I couldn't do too much [old and simple BIOS].

Finally, I wondered if my new and cool HDD would work through my External Rack HDD Connection. And of course it worked...

Well, I said that I'll use this way till I will upgrade my PC and take a better MB which recognize S-ATA 2 So, I made my partitions, copied my files [lots of files ] and I was happy.

But my happiness didn't last too much. When I was in the middle of copying some files, Windows [''Bill Gates' retarded system'' as my brother, fan of linux, names it ] prompted an error [something like write failed and bla bla bla], followed by te sound of USB external device disconnection.

I wasn't too worried about it - I said to myself that it's a glitch and it would finally work. So I connected my HDD again - but, what do you think it happened?

WINDOWS COULDN"T SEE THE HDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I've entered driven by desperation in the Partition Master and guess what?

ALL MY PARTITIONS WERE GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, now, as we speak, I'm using EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 4.3.6 to recover my files [what's left of them].

Update: I succedeed in copying 2 of the partitions fully [3rd partition is gone forever ... ] Now I'm using Testdisk [from your site], trying to restore my partitions. If this doesn't work I'll try to use some other programs from EASEUS cuz they seem to be good.

So, in the end, after this blockbuster action packed movie, thanks to Mister retarded Windows and cheating guy from the pc shop, I have no solution of making this HDD working...

So please, tell me how do I make it run at 1,5 Gb/s?

And, if there's no solution for that [yep, I'm gonna blow the seller's head off! you'll see me on news ] at least tell me how to recover the files left on my 3rd partition or restore the partition table. Some programs names would be helpful.

Yours, sincerely,

Noob Kiddo from Dracula City, Romania,

OUT!

UPDATE: It's 2.19 am... Vampires seek for blood here in Transylvania and I'm trying to restore my partitions... I'm lucky I have an axe with me which has garlic on it ] Anyway, the Testdisk sees only 2 partitions too - so now I'll be waiting your holy solutions...

Old 10-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What is the model of samsung drive, there should be 4 jumpers near the sata ports one set will jumper to SATA1 speeds. The other possibility is to check Samsung's support site. Hitachi's now use a software tool to set the speed down rather than jumpers. You do have to download it tho. Samsung may have the same thing. Did you format FAT32 or NTFS? Fat32 is limited to 4GB files, usually it just results in an error message, but I suppose it could cause issues with the partition table. Did you check the docs or Samsung support site for your model to see how to set the speed?
EDIT: Not sure of the model you have, but found this in the manual for a SATA500 GB on Samsung's site
Note: In some rare cases SATA 1.5Gb/s hosts can not establish SATA
interface connection with SATA 3.0Gb/s devices due to interface
protocol issues.
In this case you should switch your drive to SATA 1.5Gb/s speed
with a software which we are providing via www.samsunghdd.com.

Apparently they are trying to get the drive to autoadjust. Something tells me this is not a 'rare' occurence however, but try downloading the software the manual specifies.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

There should be a series of pins on the front and jumper to connect two of them.
If it does not look like this give us the exact model number of the drive.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Registered Member

Okay guys my HDD model is Samsung HD 503 HI and of course that I've formatted as NTFS!

Yes, I've visited their website but I can't find the software nor the manual because my model looks like isn't there or is very well hidden.

And no, this HDD doens't look in the back as you guys showed in that pic.

So? Any other solutions?

Or I must go and shot the seller?!

Man, you know, I'm getting tired trying to solve this stupid issue! It's like 12 hours since I'm trying to make it work. I've had enough! Tomorrow I'll go to the store, make some fuss about it, hoping that they'll exchange it with a S-ATA 1. If not... Well, I've learnt my lesson - if you are a noob in technology, just ask a friend or an expert.

Anyway, I'm very upset mostly because that guy from the pc shop lied to me or that he didn't told me how do I exactly step by step change the speed... It's very annoying....

Bye...

And the funny thing is that on the HDD information is written in Korean or Chinese or some other asian language... I guess they thought that we all understand their stupid language!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus that, all of my friends told me to buy a Western Digital or a Seagate cuz they rock, and not this ugly Samsung... I wonder why I didn't listen to them... All my actual HDDs are Western Digital, they worked perfectly, but, no, I wanted Samsung! Hope they'll go bankrupt!

Sorry guys, but I can't control myself! If you can't make technology work not even in the 21st century, cuz technology sucks and you are noob :), then I'd better go back to Stone Age - at least then a stone slingshot was better than an actual one :) Now we have 1 million processor sockets, 1 billion types of technology that I feel dizzy and I can't understand which is compatible with which! Why don't they make them at a standard!? So noob people like me can use them easily! Damn! I've said it!
Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

The Samsung drives need to be changed by software that should have come with the drive, you need to install it into a PC that supports Sata II use the disk supplied with the drive to change it to Sata I.

This should be the Samsung utility program to change the drive speed> http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ort_HUTIL.html
Old 10-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Registered Member

They didn't give me any CD. Just a stupid help book that doens't make any sense to a normal person...

Well first of all I don't have a diskette to copy that program and not even a floppy where to put it. And I surely don't now how to make a bootable diskette or a CD! Man I jsut wanna use the damn thing to watch movies, listen to music, play games, and surfing the net! I don't want to be any PC technician! Why they make them so difficult to use? Once I've connected the component in the PC it should work by itself! The only thing I should know is installing the drivers and thats should be all....

Plus that I forgot to tell you that when I plugged off the HDD I'd say very gently from the S-ATA slot of the MB, a few pins [being such an old MB] just bended and the plastic where they were put in fell off...

So I'm screwed! I don't even know if those pins will ever work...

I downloaded the program. I mounted the image but the .exe and .bat don't load. I guess they're for DOS, not Windows... So how am I supposed to mount an iso image in DOS?! A bootable CD I don't know how to make...

Well I'll take this HDD back to the store and I'll see what can I solve with the seller who practically compelled me to buy this overated Samsung!

Sorry I bothered you with my crazy things. I've shouldn't even posted here. Sorry!

Have a nice night!

I'm out!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Use imgburn to burn the iso file to a cd> http://www.imgburn.com/

Closed Thread