Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

How do I copy my operating system from one hard drive to another

This is a discussion on How do I copy my operating system from one hard drive to another within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How do I copy my operating system and data from one hard drive to another on a new computer with

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

How do I copy my operating system and data from one hard drive to another on a new computer with no operating system

Old 09-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

you cannot legally copy one operating system to another computer to run the operating system on two computers.

You can make an image of the OS and data using norton ghost or acronis true image or the xp backup app but has to be on the same computer.

When you install xp on the computer you have to register it with Microsoft if you want to put the same OS on another computer you have to register it again. The registration would not complete because it woulod be the same key. YOu would have to contact MS and ask them for a new key and that would cost you money.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
you cannot legally copy one operating system to another computer to run the operating system on two computers.

You can make an image of the OS and data using norton ghost or acronis true image or the xp backup app but has to be on the same computer.

When you install xp on the computer you have to register it with Microsoft if you want to put the same OS on another computer you have to register it again. The registration would not complete because it woulod be the same key. YOu would have to contact MS and ask them for a new key and that would cost you money.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

I am trying to replace a small hard disk drive with a larger one on the same computer. Is that legal to copy the curtrent operating system on the same computer?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

if you are installing a new drive to replace the other you will need to back up all the data and install the operating system as normal or you can buy an application called norton ghost and follow the instructions that come with it to do that.

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
Old 09-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

most drives these days come with a tool or have one on the makers site to do what you want to do