Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Help! New hard drive thinks it is half its true size!

This is a discussion on Help! New hard drive thinks it is half its true size! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop has a 60 GB hard drive. As of right now, it only has about 800 MB left on

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop has a 60 GB hard drive. As of right now, it only has about 800 MB left on it. I purchased a new hard drive, this one 120 GB. I purchased a data transfer kit to send my operating system and an exact copy of my hard drive over to the new one. However, My operating system did not copy over. In addition to this, my 120 GB hard drive is now saying that its total capacity is 60 GB. Even partition magic says this and when I try to reformat it, it still says it. How do I fix this? How do I get my new hard drive back to 120 GB capacity and off of this false 60 GB capacity?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POS hard drive.bmp
Views:	45
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	23752  

Old 02-19-2008, 06:09 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

give us a screen shot of partition magic

and disk management

to enter disk managment / go to start / then right click on my computer / then from the menu that appears "choose manage" from the upper part of the menu / in the left pane of the console that will appear "click on disk managment" then in the right pane but lower half of screen click on the new drive then give us a screen shot of that view

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Here is a screen shot.

There is no visible data on the hard drive.

And that IS XP, I just did a little customization recently.

--Had to compress the image, but you can still see what you need to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.bmp
Views:	101
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	23807  
Old 02-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

hmmmmm definetly not a reliable drive set-up

I would "erase" that drive with Dariks Boot n Nuke / then repartition and reformat the drive with PM

clean install of XP

I know its alot of wasted time >>>> but thats the only way to fix this drive properly

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 02-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

I did the erase with Active @Killdisk. It got rid of the used space, but every time I try to format the hard drive, it keeps saying that the size is only 55 GB instead of 120 GB. I am using the new hard drive in the enclosure from the data transfer kit I bought so it is active like an external until I can swap it with my internal.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Registered Member

Grin

RazgrizSeed, what is the make and model of your hard drive? Does it have a jumper to limit the size?

What is the make and model of your notebook computer? The bios of your computer might only be able to recognize 55 gigabytes of any hard drive. If that's the case, you will need to install a newer bios.

My first suggestion would be to boot your computer and get into the bios. Check if it tells you the size of the hard drive is 55 gigabytes or 120 gigabytes. If it says 55 gigabytes, the bios is probably your problem. In which case, you can check the website of the company that built the thing. There might be a bios update with a note that says this update fixes hard drive space above 55 gigabytes not recognized.

And since you already have this new hard drive sitting in an external case, hook it up to the newest desktop or notebook computer you have available and see what happens.

Bonne chance
Old 02-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Registered Member

The hard drive is an SATA made by Fujitsu. I ordered it off of the Dell website specifically for my Inspiron E1505. This was the largest hard drive that I could order for my model laptop. When I first plugged it in the computer said it had 119 GB of space on it. After the CMS data transfer kit was done with it, it now says 55. On top of all of this, after I did the Killdisk, I cannot see it under My Computer. Before I started asking for help I couldn't even format it because of a "bad batch/parameter" and after the Killdisk I still get the same error. I could format it with windows when I could see the drive, but it would only format 52.4 GB of the space.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

you will find Dariks boot n nuke does a more through job / you need to wipe the whole job not just the partition that windows was on!

BTW: after you wipe a drive it wont be seen by windows (my computer) until it has been partitioned and formatted

I dont believe you problem is a bios limit as 55 gigs is an unusual number / if your hang-up was at 32 gigs or 64gigs or 127gigs or 137 gigs I would say maybe>>>> but not 55gigs

its a good thought though! but errant IMHO especially as Dell specs your laptop being able to use the 120 gig drive

be patient >>>> it will happen >>>> make sure you use NTFS file system and not FAT32

keep us posted

Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

Before I take another step, read this. I'm still having a little trouble understanding it, but I'm working on it. CMS just sent me this in an email:

HPA Problems When Upgrading Hard Disk

Some people will eventually want to upgrade their hard disk to a new disk with larger capacity. Users should be warned about a unique problem that may occur in certain circumstances. If you try to replace your hard disk with a larger disk, if you try to clone the contents of your original disk to the new disk, and if your original disk contains HPA-based MediaDirect, then you may discover your new disk's capacity becomes truncated to the size of the original disk.

For example, say you wish to replace your 60 GB disk with a new 120 GB disk. To avoid reinstalling everything, you decide to use something like Acronis True Image or Symantec Ghost to clone the contents of the 60 GB disk to the 120 GB disk. When you try to boot the new disk, however, it blue-screens or fails to boot, and a check of the BIOS settings shows the BIOS thinks your new disk is around the same size as the old disk! No amount of recloning, reformatting, repartitioning, or rejumpering will get the BIOS to recognize the full size of the disk.

During the process of cloning, some utilities will copy the entire first track from the original disk, which includes the Dell MBR (in LBA Sector 0) and the HPA boot code (in LBA Sector 3). The problem is caused when both of these sectors are carried over to the new disk. The problem is avoided if either one or both sectors are not copied.

(Note to reader: Remember that we are only talking about HPA-based MediaDirect here. MediaDirect 3 does not use LBA-3 or the HPA.)

How The Dell MBR Works

Here is a play-by-play of what happens when the computer boots with the Dell MBR.

When the machine is off, pressing the power button turns the computer on. Pressing the MediaDirect button instead turns the computer on and additionally sets a bit in the bios cmos registers. The computer proceeds through its POST (Power-On Self Test), then turns to the hard disk and MBR to determine what to do next:

1. Begin code in LBA-0. This tests if code exists in LBA-3. If not, skip to step 6. If yes, continue with step 2. (Code in LBA-3 means the system is equipped with MD).

2. Begin code in LBA-3. This tests whether the MD bit in the cmos is set. If not, skip to step 4. If yes, continue with step 3. (The MD bit tells whether or not the MD button was pressed).

3. If MD button pressed, prepare to boot MD. Unhide the HPA, save partition table descriptor #4, replace it with the hidden MD partition descriptor, and set it active. Skip to step 5.

4. If MD button not pressed, prepare to boot normally. Hide the HPA, replace partition table descriptor #4 with the saved copy (from step 3), and set partition #2 active (the XP partition).

5. Return to LBA-0.

6. LBA-0 checks whether Ctrl+F11 is in the keyboard queue. If not, skip to step 8. If yes, continue with step 7.

7. Prepare to boot the DSR partition by changing the DSR partition's descriptor from 'DB' to '0C' and setting it active.

8. Check which partition is set active (normally it's partition 2, unless step 3 or 7 changed it), display "Loading PBR x..." on the screen, load that partition's boot record into memory, and display "done" if the pbr read was successful.

9. The MBR's job is now done. Transfer control to the code loaded from the pbr, which is expected to take over and load the rest of the operating system installed on that partition--either XP (pbr2), DSR, or MD (pbr4).

The crucial factor is that LBA-3 has embedded in it the starting location of the HPA. This information is used in steps 3-4. The starting location will be where the HPA begins on the original hard disk. When you install a larger hard disk and copy LBA-3 (as part of track-0), this number does not get changed. (After all, the cloning utility has no idea what Dell is doing with LBA-3.)

Thereafter, the first time you boot from the hard disk and the MBR is executed, step 4 will assume the HPA begins in the same place as it did on the original disk. All that extra space on the new hard disk will be hidden as part of the (now, super-large) HPA.

Remember, when the HPA is enabled, the true size is kept secret by the disk drive itself. The computer, XP, and most utilities will think the hard disk is smaller than it actually is. This BIOS will think your new disk is the same size as the original disk. Reformatting or repartitioning will not unhide the HPA and give you back your disk space.

The HPA Cannot Be Copied

No cloning utility can copy the contents of the HPA from one hard disk to another. Many utilities will not even know the HPA exists. Even if you were able to expose the HPA area, utilities would not know there is a MediaDirect partition in there to copy. Remember, the existence of the MediaDirect partition is not recorded in the partition table, it's partition descriptor is secretly stored in LBA-3.

If you want your new hard disk to include MediaDirect, you will need to do a fresh install from the MediaDirect CD. (Note that reinstalling from CD will not recreate the HPA. The CD will instead create a regular partition of type D7.)

How To Avoid the Truncation Problem

The problem occurs when the Dell MBR and LBA-3 are both copied to the new disk. The problem is avoided if either the Dell MBR is not copied, and/or LBA-3 is not copied. As can be seen from the play-by-play above, the Dell MBR executes LBA-3 if the HPA-hiding code exists. Eliminate the code in LBA-3 (non-HPA Dell machines have all zeroes in LBA-3) and there will be no code to hide the HPA. Or eliminate the Dell MBR (replacing it with a generic Microsoft MBR, for example) and the code in LBA-3, even if exists, will not be executed.

Remember, the contents of the HPA cannot be copied. The one and only purpose of LBA-3 is to enable the HPA. So, if the HPA cannot be transferred anyway, there is no reason to keep LBA-3. Use a utility (such as Roadkil's Sector Editor) to overwrite LBA-3 with all zeroes on the original disk before attempting the cloning operation. The new disk will not get the LBA-3 code, and will not have a HPA or the MediaDirect partition.

The Dell MBR has two purposes: to enable booting the DSR partition, or enable booting the HPA (via LBA-3). Even with LBA-3 eliminated, the Dell MBR may still be needed if you plan on copying the DSR partition to the new disk. If you are copying the DSR partition, keep the Dell MBR and just zero LBA-3. If you are not keeping the DSR partition (or do not have one to begin with), then there is no reason to keep the Dell MBR at all. A simple "fdisk /mbr" command executed from a Win98 boot floppy, or the "fixmbr" command executed from the XP CD's recovery console will replace the Dell MBR with a generic MBR.

How To Repair A Truncated Disk

If you've already made the mistake of copying LBA-3 and had it hide the HPA, then you will need to take the extra step of unhiding the HPA. Zeroing LBA-3 and recloning will prevent the HPA from being hidden again in the future, but that will not unhide an already-hidden HPA.

There are several tools that can be used to unhide the HPA and return a hard disk to its full capacity. These include Hitachi Feature Tool, Seagate SeaTools, Magic Boot Disk (MHDD), and HDAT2, among others.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

thats cute! nice find though

Personally I would perform a clean install of the operating system / the benefits of better performance will be worth the time invested

and OS gets VERY luggish after about two years

you could then put your old drive with all its contents into a 2.5 inch external hard drive enclosure or get a 2.5 inch adapter which will allow you to connect your old 55 gig to a desktop machine / from there you can share the data with the laptop

your call ?

Old 02-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
Registered Member

Ok, I just completely wiped out the hard drive. For some reason, it says 55 GB of unallocated space and that's it. Why is it still stuck on saying that? I can't seem to get the thing to get off of thinking that. This is about the point my frustration towards this thing is starting to escalate.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

what did you use to wipe the drive ????

Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 PM   #13
Registered Member

I used active killdisk because the one you recommended for me would also wipe out my old drive which I still need. It wiped and zeroed the entire drive and there should be any information on the drive, but it still shows up as being the same size as my old one.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
Registered Member

Please don't give up on me, I have less than 80 MB left and I have college classes. What could be the reason for the hard drive not even wavering from it's 55 GB status?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

UNPLUG the power cord from the drive you DONT want erased / then use boot n nuke to wipe the drive

if killdisk did as good a job >>>>> I would have said use killdisk

Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

Ok, so I remove my internal drive and boot n nuke will run automatically when I start the computer? or do I boot from the flash drive with the exe on it?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi RazgrizSeed,
First, you are right about the cloning issue.
Second, do you have the Media Direct CD for this unit? It is a Dell correct? You can only use the version that came with your unit.
Third, you will have to install the 120GB drive in your laptop.
Forth, You may have to use the n nuke application (Install it on a CD, It will not load via a flash drive unless your lappy boots from usb). If you have the Media Direct CD it will install and format the drive and partition it accordingly. The Media Direct CD will setup three separate partitions
You then have to install the OS,
If you do not have the Media Direct CD you will loose that function, but XP will also partition and format the drive.
You will then have to make sure all the drivers and applications are installed.
Then you can transfer your data accordingly to the new drive.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #18
Registered Member

I do not have a Media Direct CD or even a system recovery disk.

After I boot n nuke the drive, will I be able to then use partition magic to re-copy everything and then re-distribute the free space in one fell swoop and it work?

It's not just the OS I'm worried about copying over, it's also the registry and all of my programs along with my documents.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

you wont be able to copy your old drive to the new drive unless you are willing to suffer the 55gig problem

I would say its time to buy a new retail copy of yoru OS

do a fresh install on the new drive / then you can import data from the old drive into the new drive

I know this is not what you want to hear but it sounds like this is what you will have to do >>>>> too bad your old drive was set-up with such difficult drive parameters

Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I believe you will end up with what you have now, a cloned HD
Maybe Linderman will have an idea.
If not you can always contact Dell and get the replacement CD's at minimal cost. They are alot cheaper than a retail XP version.
Thanks,
Bill