Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

HELP how to Install more than two harddisk

This is a discussion on HELP how to Install more than two harddisk within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dear computer experts, I am David, My mother board with two IDE port, first one I installed one Master Harddisk

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Dear computer experts,

I am David, My mother board with two IDE port, first one I installed one Master Harddisk and one slave CD-RW, second one I installed one Master harddisk and one slave CD-ROM. My PC still have one harddisk space left, but IDE port is full.

Yesterday I bought one more harddisk, and a new IDE cable one metre long with four slots: ||=========||====||=====|| (something like this).

From my point of view it should be able to allow me to install one more harddisk on the first one so that for the first one I will have two harddisk and one CDRW. but my computer cannot detect my third device, if PC detected my new harddisk, then my CDRW will dis appear, if my PC detected my CDRW, my harddisk will disappear.

I never installed three devices in one IDE port. can some one guide me how to install? Thanks.

Old 11-21-2004, 07:28 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team

An IDE cable with four slots? All of the connectors look the same or are two of them slightly different?

What is your motherboard's specific make/model?

Chances are good, if you wanna do this, that you'll have to buy an additional PCI IDE controller to accomplish.

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 11-21-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

My mothreboard is gigabyte GA-6VXE7, running PIII 866.
yes, all ports are same, I have to buy additional hardware? does the IDE cable with four ports enable me to install three devices on one IDE port? the IDE cable is very expensive, cost me $20 the seller said can install three devices, one Master, one Slave one Cable select. but I don't know how?
Old 11-21-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus, Security Team

According to your motherboard's manual, only two IDE devices can be connected to each port, for a total of four devices. Someone else on here may have better experience with this, but I have never seen an IDE port that would take more than two devices.

Get your money back on that cable (and smack that seller), then get a PCI IDE controller card. It should be a breeze from there.

GO BIG BLUE!!
Old 11-21-2004, 02:15 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

i've never heard of anyone running three ide devices on one channel either...

i am going to go attempt to read about it.

TSF is funded by our Admin's pocket, care to help?
Power Tip: Subscribe to your thread (Thread Tools) to receive an instant email notification when you get a reply.
New Members: Creating a single new thread in the correct section is the best way to assure your thread will receive a reply.
</signature>
Old 11-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The ATA (IDE) channel design is pretty fixed, one master and one slave on a single channel. You will NOT get more than two devices working, I have no idea what the point of an IDE cable with more than two device connections is.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Closed Thread