Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD from Laptop no longer recognizeable

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  liu.dee.21 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. I am not much of a tech guru at all, so I will do my best to give the situation.

My old laptop died (it seems like the Motherboard got fried, RIP for a good six years). It seems the HD is/was still working so I got it off the laptop and bought an HD enclosure for it. This HD enclosure is SATA III and therefore should be backwards compatible for SATA I and II (my old laptop's HD is a Seagate SATA).

Anyways, I assembled the HD enclosure, plugged it in, all of course with the intention of getting everything off the HD. It is a 500 gb drive, with only about 30 gb of space remaining. I learned that you have to change permissions in order to access (most of?) the files on the users folder. So I tried doing that, but it was very slow. I had to cancel the process because it took several hours to do maybe a few hundred or thousand files. I kept getting disclaimers every few minutes as well.

Now when I plug in the HD, my current laptop only recognizes it as a "local disk." When I try to even right click the properties, it is even slower than ever. So did my old laptop HD just die on me at the worst time?

#2 ·
Hi there,

Hmmmm.....you can use "Seatools" HD diagnostics utility to test the health of your computer hard drive to see if it's defective or not. Download and install Seatools on your spare computer and test the HD that's in the external enclosure to see if the HD is defective or not.

Here's the link to Seatools = SeaTools | Seagate

#4 ·
With respect, SeaTools (and most vendor tools) are useless and potentially dangerous when data need to be recovered from a failing drive. In particular, running the "long" test may accelerate the drive's failure by thrashing a weak head and filling up the defect lists.

Also, SeaTools does not truthfully report the SMART status of Seagate's drives. For example, it will report "SMART passed" when in fact the drive may have 2000 bad sectors. Instead you need a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo.

I would recommend cloning the drive with a tool such as HDDSuperClone or GNU ddrescue. These tools understand how to work with bad sectors. I would then run data recovery software against the clone.

You can vastly improve the chances for recovery by disabling certain firmware features, but you will need a TTL adapter.

I have written a ZOC script to automate the procedure:

Seagate F3 Arch - Patching the 093 sysfile :

The HDD Oracle. • View topic - Seagate F3 Arch - Patching the 093 sysfile :
The HDD Oracle. • View topic - Seagate F3 Arch - Patching the 093 sysfile :

#5 ·
To fzabkar. Thanks, I will see if this solution works out. Yes, it looks like when I did the "change permissions" thing and then quit prematurely, it probably added stress to the hard drive (and as funk said, the hard drive probably got taken out along with the motherboard as it is not solid state). We'll see how it goes. I won't do it right away, but later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.