Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD erratic behavior

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Miles1 
#1 ·
I have an Asus ux32vd with a 500GB HDD and a SanDisk 24GB iSSD. In the past this laptop had lots of hardware problems and all storage (both HDs and RAM) have already been replaced by ASUS service for errors.

When I have a fresh factory issue Win7 installation, everything is fine for about a month. Then my HDs suddenly start to behave totally erratic, with transfer rate jumping up and down from 3MB/Sec to 200MB/Sec. This is getting worse for some time until my system starts dying with blue screen. It dies more and more frequently until after another month I have to re-install and start over.

I went through this cycle more than 5 times now and i cannot pinpoint the problem. I am not even sure it's a hardware problem, but I'm using my laptop for office use only and no weird software.

Any idea anyone? Please help!

#2 ·
How old is the laptop and is it still under warranty? The symptoms you're describing sure sounds like a hardware issue. Do you have all the MS updates installed? Do you have all the latest driver from the Asus website for your particular model? Do you have the latest BIOS installed.

#3 ·
The laptop is 20 months old, still has warranty. It's been checked and repaired lots of times in the past, but this issue still remains. The problem is that it can be temporarily fixed with a new Windows installation, so Asus service won't look any further.

Windows is factory issue with all updates, also BIOS and all drivers are updated.

#4 ·
Hi there,

Could tell us your HDD model? You should try checking it with the manufacturer's diagnostic software and do a ScanDisk. You may be facing connectivity issues regarding some cables or the motherboard. I would say that the SATA port may be failing too, but these are just suggestions. You should keep consulting the reseller.

Let us know if there is any progress

#5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions.

There is a Hitachi HTS 54505 (500GB) and a SanDisk SSD i100 (24GB) in my laptop. I am using HD Tune for monitoring both HD, and there seem to be no defects or errors. Only the erratic benchmark performance behavior.

I had talked about connectivity problems with ASUS service as well and they have checked for this (or so they said). However, they also said that this kind of problem would persist also right after a new Windows installation, which it doesn't. So they tell me it must be a software problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.