Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Hard drives not detected

This is a discussion on Hard drives not detected within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i've got compaq sr5633wm, went to put in another hdd, got power cable and sata, plugged it all in computer

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

i've got compaq sr5633wm, went to put in another hdd, got power cable and sata, plugged it all in computer won't boot, ran diagnostics no boot path, error : biohd-2 no drives detected. checked cables, power. doesn not detect either hddmoved cables to dvd cables ok detected dvd switched back no hdd detection. what happen?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86, VISTA SP2 x64 & x86, Windows XP SP3

My System

HI,
Welcome to TSF.

Go into the BIOS and make sure that your original harddrive is the first drive in the boot
list. Depending on which SATA port you connected to it may have changed the boot order. Also does it boot okay if you remove the new drive?

Old 06-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Bios does not recognize any HDD. Changed cables to dvd it recognized the dvd, changed back, no HDD, tried other HDD also did not find but will find dvd or cd rom, switched all cables, no problems with cables. The diagnostics cannot detect either. Won't let me into advanced options or recovery.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Let's look at two possible issues:

First of all, if you put a Sata II compliant drive in a computer (don't know your model) that recognizes Sata I, then you have to change that little jumper on the back of the drive.

Second, be sure you go in to the Bios and Set Sata as IDE mode.

Let us know if that does not help.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

How do i know what is sata II or I, as for sata or ide only sata available. The motherboard is boston gl-6 or ms-7525(boston) compaq presario sr5633wm the other HDD is from an older model compaq sr1911x. Still no detection anyway.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Well, since you told me the motherboard, I looked up the Sata I or Sata II issue. You are O.K. with that as per:

Quote:
NOTE: The faster rate of 3.0Gb/sec requires that both the hard drive and the motherboard support it. If one or the other does not support 3.0 Gb/sec, the PC negotiates down to the slower 1.5 Gb/sec.
On the second issue, did you enter the Bios setup menu and set the Sata ports as both enable? Did you set Sata Mode as IDE? Does the Bios itself see the drive?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

sata is enabled and there is no ide setting in bios, bios does not detect any HDD diagnostics comes up with the cpu, memory, and the cddvdw the HDD comes up with error : biohd-2 no HDD detected.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

highlight the sata listing in the bios
then press enter
you should then be able to see the dropdown box with the settings availale