Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Hard Drive shows up in Windows but not in BIOS

This is a discussion on Hard Drive shows up in Windows but not in BIOS within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm running Windows XP. Pentium 4. The drive in question that isn't showing up in BIOS is a Western Digital

Old 08-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm running Windows XP. Pentium 4.
The drive in question that isn't showing up in BIOS is a Western Digital 500gb.

On the 500gb drive is Windows XP and I want to boot from that drive.
The drive I am running now is a 25gb drive, also running windows XP.

So what happened is that I was running the 500gb drive perfectly and then one day it decides to crash. I have a backup drive (the 25gb one), so I booted windows off that. Once windows was loaded on the 25gb, I could see the 500gb one and all the files still there, but it's not showing up in the BIOS. My question is why and how can I fix it?
Thanks.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

It is virtually impossible for a drive to be recognized in Windows and not be recognized in the Bios.
What are the jumper pins set to on the 25GB drive? And the 500Gb drive? Are they on the Same IDE ribbon? If 2 drives are sharing the same ribbon plugged into the Primary slot on the motherboard, then one drive must be set as Master and the other as Slave, or both as CS (Cable Select) Try separating the drives to separate IDE Ribbon cables. The boot drive plugged into the Primary slot on the motherboard with the jumper pin set to CS and the other drives jumper set to CS in the Secondary slot.
If as you say, the drive is recognized in Windows, go to Start/Run and type Diskmgmt.msc and press enter. In Disk Management window, does your drive show up here?

spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry forgot to mention this before. The 500gb is a SATA 3. So no ribbon cable for that drive.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What is the make and model# of your motherboard? Does it support SATA III? SATA III drive is backwards compatible to a SATA II motherboard. Boot into Setup (Bios) and look to Boot Priority. Primary IDE drive should be set as first boot device. Is the SATA drive in the Boot Priority? What port is the 500GB SATA drive plugged into on the motherboard? (ex) SATA0, SATA1 etc Is the port Enabled? Have you tried changing the SATA cable? Have you tried a different power plug? Have you tried a different SATA channel?
Again, it is virtually impossible for a drive to show up in Windows and not show in the Bios, the Bios must recognize the drive for it to show up in Windows.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry for taking so long to reply. It is a foxconn motherboard and the model number is 925XE7AA.
I actually figured some things out. My SATA ports are broken. My CD/DVD player, which is also attached via sata, doesn't work either. But I do have raid sata ports which is what the 500gb drive is attached to now. Before it was attached to the regular sata ports.