Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

hard drive not accessible ? would circuit board change help ??

This is a discussion on hard drive not accessible ? would circuit board change help ?? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am trying to do recover data from my old hard drive which is western digital 500 gb caviar

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hello,

I am trying to do recover data from my old hard drive which is western digital 500 gb caviar blue. right now its not accessible by my computer and i have tried to attach it with another computer as external hard drive. but it was not recognized by BIOS, hard disk management or in MY computer section. Is it possible if i change the hard drive ciruit board (green one !! ) with similer kind of hard drive can i make it accessible ?
Thanks,

Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Sounds like the drive has failed. Board swapping will not resolve most HDD issues. It's also more involved and tedius than simply finding another drive to take the board from.

Google is your Friend!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

so what do you suggest Dogg, My data is very important to me and i want to recover it .. i have exactly same hard drive from same brand and same size... can i just swap the platter if its head or cables problem.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

raptor_pa will be able to give you details on the PCB swap or if it will even work.

In my experience, if the drive is not recognized, it's toast. Replace it and move on.

You should have a backup copy of ALL important data. A single drive failure should not be a big deal.

Google is your Friend!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

That's the Problem Dogg, i never got chance to make any back up .. that is why i am so concerned about this hard drive. Please let me know whats the easiest way i can try. i dont wanna go to data recovery people because they are asking for very high price. Could you please ask raptor to help me out !!
Thanks
Old 12-06-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

We need more information. Can you feel the drive spin up? Does it make any noise? What is the exact model number of the drive? Post a clear closeup pic of the component side of the circuit board.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hey bindudhindsa:

I recently did exactly what you're hoping to do: revived a dead Seagate drive with a board replacement. So it can sometimes be a dead pcb board, and they are very easy to replace.

I had the advantage of having an identical drive in another computer. So I was able to swap the boards (the hardest part was finding the very small torx screwdriver for the board screws) and confirmed that the drive would come back to life with a working pcb. After that I went here and ordered a replacement:

http://www.onepcbsolution.com/

$40 didn't seem too bad to have vital data saved, plus to avoid a full reinstall of os, apps, etc. on a new drive. Again, if you don't know for sure that the board is the problem, then it's a bit of a gamble. But pcb solution was great... I got the board in a week, 5 minutes to put it in, and all was back to normal. If you pull your board their website can match it using the numbers on the stickers.

Best,

Bravos
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
retired

the flash memory chip on each board contains the microcode for controling that board model in general AND a data table of hdd sectors (ie: total capacity, bad sectors, etc) for that particular platter in that hdd.

just swapping an identical board and getting full access to data is plain luck.

the info from the chip on the damaged board would have to be copied to the new board for proper recovery.

interestingly, that site claims they will sell the board with transfer for $50.
Any PCB with firmware transfer
Old 12-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Stu is spot on, if the drives have similar adaptives it can work, but it is more luck than skill.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for your help guys, just out of curiousity i tried bravos suggestion. I tried replacing 3 different PCB but no luck as everybody said in here. But i am not sure at this moment if their is anything wrong with my hard drive inside or just the PCB. It could be head or platters inside too.

Is there any way to make sure my PCB are working okay. I mean in future if i can check PCB
As STU mentioned in his post "The info from the chip on the damaged board would have to be copied to the new board for proper recovery"

I just want to find a quick way to make sure if my PCB is working or not without opening my hard drive??
Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Opening the HD will not give any good information. There is no way to be certain what caused a failure without diagnostics requiring special equipment. If the drive doesn't spin, that could be an indication of a PCB failure, but could also have other causes.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks for your help Guys,
Raptor , i guess at my end i can only do the swapping of PCB hard drives as you mentioned earlier , all other diagnostics requires special equipment.

As STU mentioned earlier "
the flash memory chip on each board contains the microcode for controling that board model in general AND a data table of hdd sectors (ie: total capacity, bad sectors, etc) for that particular platter in that hdd.

just swapping an identical board and getting full access to data is plain luck.

the info from the chip on the damaged board would have to be copied to the new board for proper recovery" .

How can i copy the info from chip on damaged board to new identical looking PCB ??
Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

If there is a u12 chip on the board, you can transfer the chip from the patient to the donor board. If there is no u12 then the code is in the MCU chip, this requires special hardware to copy the rom code and upload it to the MCU price is $2500 - $15,000 - depending on the hardware you would choose.