Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Getting stuff off of old hard drive to new computer..

This is a discussion on Getting stuff off of old hard drive to new computer.. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My old computer crashed and am trying to get all my pictures off the HD to put them on my

Old 05-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

My old computer crashed and am trying to get all my pictures off the HD to put them on my other computer. I bought the thing to plug it in the my new computer and when I do it spins or turns on but will not show up on my computer. Does that mean the HD is bad or something else? I really hope its not bad I have all my kids baby pics on it and never backed them up. Please help. Thanks!!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Moderator hardware team

Tell is more about your setup type of old computer and type of "other computer" and especially the "thing" (I assume some usb adapter) you bought and most importantly the make & model of drive you are connecting to the "thing".

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry for not giving enough info. My old computer was a windows xp and my brother said that the motherboard burnt up on it. Not sure how true that is though. It was going to cost to much to fix so we bought a new computer So we took the HDs out of the old one. The new computer is a windows 7. I got a kingwin ez-connect which has the power plug and usb connector to plug it in to the computer.
HD1 is a Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 GB Model: ST380021A
HD2 is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 300GB Model:ST3300831A

I just want the pics off I really am not worried about anything else. Hope I answered all your questions correctly if not please let me know. Thanks
Old 05-02-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
Moderator hardware team

Thanks for the additional info it helps as I am not able to put eyes on your setup the more detail you provide the better outcome.

I am guessing the 80GB Drive HD1 was the drive in the "old" computer and now its installed in the Kingwin ez-connect (model # missing) enclosure.

Its an IDE drive which has the jumper block next to the ribbon cable and the label on the hard drive itself has a diagram to jump the drive as Master, Slave, Cable Select. Can you check to see what it currently is set at ? I would try it as a MASTER and see if that helps.

And another option

Since the new computer / hard drive has IDE as well with HD2 you can connect it inside the computer and by-pass the external enclosure however cable select would be the best jumper choice in that scenario. If you go this route provide the jumper settings for the 300GB drive as well. You will have to remove it from the computer to get the info as well.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote