Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

G:\ is not accessible, Access is Denied.

This is a discussion on G:\ is not accessible, Access is Denied. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, A while ago I bought a Maxtor Basics 500gb External Hardrive, I installed it and it worked fine for

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

Hi,
A while ago I bought a Maxtor Basics 500gb External Hardrive, I installed it and it worked fine for about 6 months. 3 days ago went to access the hardrive and it a message popped up saying G:\ is not accessible, Access is Denied.

I have tried many things to solve this problem so far, none of them have worked.

I'm running on Windows Vista Ultimate

All of my Games and Music files are stored on there and i really need to get it running again.

Please help

Joe

Old 06-19-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Did you move this from another machine or has windows been reinstalled recently?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

No, i have found the solution now, but now ive lost everything on there, only a few files remain, but the wierd thing is it still only has 190gb free of 460gb, so the files must be somewhere on there :S ?
Old 06-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

What was the solution? DEepending on what you did, yes the files may still be there and just the filesystem be corrupted. You can scan the drive with r-studio or getdataback demos and see if they can find your files, then register the one that does the best job and output the files to another disk.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

Ive found a folder using ace optimiser, it's called found.000. It seems to contain everything I lost but there stored in thousands of separate folders called dir0000.chk, dir0001.chk etc. all the way up to dir1393.chk, there's also 221 application extention files called file000.chk, file0001.chk etc. I don't know how to restore them as they were before. any ideas ?
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

That's the aftermath of a chkdsk run on a badly damaged file system. Did you try r-studio? It sometimes has some success recovering, if not then it may be a manual restructure. At least with r-studio it should output them with correct extensions, even if it can't locate the filename. This is the fun stuff that makes Data Recovery so expensive to have a pro do it.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Registered Member

I tried r-studio, it just gave the same output as I had already discovered, the folders named dir0000.chk etc. anything else i could do to get the original folder names?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Did you actually scan the disk, or just double click on the volume in the left frame? You will need to actually scan teh disk for file signatures. The original folder names may no longer be available...
Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

I've scanned it before, and i didn't know what to do :S.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

r-studio has a pretty complete document on their site about how to use r-studio in several different situations. Generally scan teh disk, then you will see a list of 'recognized' partitions, pick the one usually at the top, either green text or yellow text - best bet of recovery, this will open in the right pane, mark the files/folders you want to extract to another disk and then click recover all or recover marked.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
Registered Member

Did what you said and gave me the same results as before. Anything else i can do?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Are any listed if you double click the recognized files in the left pane?
Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
Registered Member

Nope.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

Next tep would be to get the disk out of the external enclosure and mounted as an internal drive in a desktop, that would eliminate any problems with teh USB interface and also allow access to the disk at the ATA command level. The USB protocols don't pass all the commands that are sometimes needed to troubleshooy/recover drives.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
Registered Member

I took apart the HD, and there were no cable in the computer that would fit the HD, basically it would not go into the computer.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
Registered Member

Razz

Hi, understand this problem was posted about a year ago. I am using Windows 7 and recently I scanned my ext harddisk with chkdsk. However, chkdsk crashed and I was forced to end-task it. Thereafter, I keep getting "Drive G is not accessible, access is denied" and " In order to use Drive G, you need to format it, Do you want to format now?" messages.

What managed to work for me was I go to the properties for my drive and add "Everyone" to the permission tab, granting full permission to everyone.

Hope this helps those who are having similar type of problems with their external harddisk.