Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

G: Is not accessible. ??

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Mighty_Miro_WD 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello
My Passport mobile external hard drive. I have Windows 7
The computer reads it but cannot access it.
I did some research, and I saw that cmd- chkdsk g: /r works to fix it.
I did this the other day, after quite some time it seemed like it was working. (processing and deleting some files)
But my gf unplugged the hard drive!

I have tried it a few times, and now it just sits like this "Corrupt Master file table. Windows will attempt to recover master file table from disk"

Its been sitting there for about an hour, nothing has been updated or changed.
Is there a way to get back to the old cmd from before, like restart the process?
Anyone have any suggestions?

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi there.

Can you run a diagnostic test on the drive using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, which is the manufacturers software, to check the health of the drive and to see if any errors or bad sectors will be detected? You may consider running an extended test because if the DLG finds something wrong with the external it will try to fix it automatically.Here's a link to download the program:

WD Support / Downloads / Other Products / Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Let me know how it went. :)

#8 ·
#10 ·
The data that resides on the Bad Sectors is corrupted, and even if you can recover it, it will be unusable.
You can try to recover your other files, if any, using the Free TestDisk Program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi again.

I'm sorry to hear that the program wasn't be able to complete the test - this means that the drive is either dying, or dead. You can try to use the programs spunk.funk suggested and hopefully you'll manage to retrieve the data, but in case they don't help, then the best option will be to contact a data recovery company and see if your information can be retrieved from the drive, and keep in mind that the more you use the drive and try to repair it, the worse the damage and the extraction of files may become. Here's a link with out data recovery partners:

WD Support / Data Recovery Partners

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.