Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Forgot hard drive password on my Laptop

This is a discussion on Forgot hard drive password on my Laptop within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Its a 20gb hard drive and I can't remember the password. System board was swapped out but hard drive still

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

Its a 20gb hard drive and I can't remember the password. System board was swapped out but hard drive still locked with the password. Is there any utility I can use to get rid of the password.
Please help..........Thanks :

Old 11-03-2004, 10:39 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to jcline
BIOS password or Windows password?

If this is the BIOS password, pull the CMOS battery for a couple minutes, then replace.

Old 11-03-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Locked how? do you mean password for OS usser account? and if so what OS do you have? Or is it the bios password? if it's a new MB then you'll have to clear the cmos. Or do you need the volume label for a format if so fdisk or partition magic will give you that.
Old 11-03-2004, 11:12 AM   #4

Don't scare him about formatting yet notice_me =)
Old 11-03-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

This is the password set using the bios. When I boot the laptop, the first thing it requires that HDD password. Would not go so far as to be able to read the floppy drive.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:46 PM   #6

Pulling the CMOS battery for a couple minutes, then replacing should fix this.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Just come across this thread as I'm having the same problem, can't access my bios, lost password. I c that you suggest pulling out cmos battery,I'm just a little worried about doing this... what will this do to my bios? I've already ruined one computer by altering bios... be just my luck to do it to another! ... Should I do it? Help needed too... please
Old 11-03-2004, 03:30 PM   #8

All pulling the CMOS does is reset the BIOS to it's defaults, there really is no risk involved.

NOTE: anytime you need to tinker around in your system be sure to wear an anti-static band.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:32 PM   #9
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The hard drive password is not maintained by the system board, that should be obvious as the system board was swapped!

Sad to say, there probably isn't anything you can do to restore the password, short of guessing what it is. There are services that will remove it, but they're kinda' expensive for a 20gig drive. These guys will remove the password for $295 if it's an IBM drive, probably more if it's a Toshiba. http://www.nortek.on.ca/hdd_pw.html#Power

Note that a 20 gigabyte 2.5" drive is probably only worth about $50...

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 11-03-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
Chex mix and Cream soda!

OS: Slackware 11.1, Fedora Core 3, K12LTSP, Suse ES 9, Windows 2000sp4, Mac OSX, Knoppix, Mephis

Take the board off the drive if there is a battery on the board remove it (be careful) ToughI would think it would be a capacitor or a soldered battery. Try unsoldering if you are bold enough (solder it back on though after a while) if it is a cap then drain it with a low voltage LED and some alligator clips. That shoulkd work if you are bold enough.

w00tb0t, because you can't make tea with potatoes
Old 11-03-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
Registered Member

Well I'm all out on guessing John, so I'll give Jc's a go, then wOOts... hope one of them works... Fingers xe'd... I'll be back!
Oh and just wanna say thanks guy's, really helpful, and I noticed you, so Thanks, noticeme got me into a helpful link.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:20 AM   #12
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

There is no battery on a password protected hard disk, the password is encrypted on the media. Don't even bother looking for a battery.

Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Old 11-06-2004, 01:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hi Guys
...Back again... managed to get into my bios,was going to try the battery removal, but sounded really complicated, so read something about jumpers, gave it a go... and it worked!!! so glad I didn't have to fork out a fortune doing it. Looks like my old system is gonna be ok! :-) Thankyou for ALL your input, It is really appreciated. All I've got to do is now reinstall windows...I'll probably be back.. Hmmm???though it looks like its working.

Maria
Old 11-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

What jumpers are you referring to Hartytou or anyone?
My son in seminary is sending his Gateway 200 ARC home for me to try to fix. Every boot it wants a hard drive password. Gateway bios flash iso file has errors and will not even attempt to boot from cd. don't have it in hand yet; prolly get it tomorrow. Is pw on hard drive or in bios? If it is on drive I can try to kill all info on drvie with wipeout if I put it in a desktop computer as a slave.
Any and all advice appreciated.
CC Ryder