Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Failing Hard Drive?

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  Superion 
#1 ·
Just the other day I booted up my computer and it gave me a loading error and said I should repair my computer. Did that and it booted up fine, used it for a bit and shut it down. The next time I booted up I got a similar error saying I should repair, but this time it said the error was in the bootup execution. Repair didn't work so i restarted to go into the bios and check things there. After checking several settings and getting the windows 7 bootup disc, I restarted once more. And Now my hard drive is not being recognized.

I am fairly certain my hard drive is failing and I'll have to get a new one, but if there is anything else I can try please let me know.

The hard drive is Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

I have tested all the cables and they are all functional.
I've had the build for over 1 year.
Here are links to all the parts.

XFX TS Series P1550SXXB9 550W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com
AMD Processor FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W D8350FRHKBOX - Newegg.com
ASUS Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk Black - Newegg.com
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.com
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 - Newegg.com

See less See more
#2 ·
On another computer, download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long Diagnostic test on the HDD. If either test fails, the HDD needs to be replaced.

#4 ·
In parallel with Spunks suggestion, if you have a spare USB flash drive lying around, you can download Ubuntu LiveCD and run in "trial mode". Then connect to the Internet with your PC. This completely bypasses Windows OS and runs Kubuntu Linux and if it boots and connects to the Internet your Motherboard is good. It might be deemed unnecessary, but that's what I would do if you brought to my repair shop. You should also download the free MEMTEST from the link in my signature below and run that on each of your RAM sticks individually for a minimum of 8 passes. Of course, if MEMTEST returns any errors, then that that stick has failed and must be replaced.:cry:

These 2 tests are relatively easy for someone that has built their own custom system. I think it might be worthwhile your time. I'd hate for you to replace the hard drive, only to find you still have a Windows boot time problem due to a failed RAM stick or Motherboard.:nonono:

P.S. What exactly are the reasons you suspect your hard drive is bad, besides the inability to boot? Did you test with any drive utilties; if so, which ones?

Let us know how it goes.
Good luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#6 ·
I booted up and connected to the internet using Ubunto, and I am running the MEMTEST right now. Its currently run 3 passes with no errors. Thanks for those btw :smile:

I had already opened the case and checked all the wires. All cables were firmly attached and functioning. The case didn't have much dust when I opened it but I went ahead and carefully cleaned out most of it anyways.

I did not test using any of the drive utilities. I suspected my hard drive was going bad because it was giving me a read error at first, and now it doesn't even recognize my hard drive at all (As if it's not plugged in at all). The whole thing came out of nowhere :frown:

#7 ·
You are quite right to suspect the drive. The Seagate tool will recognise the drive if it is in good working condition even if it hasn't been formatted. If it's not seen in BIOS and not recognised by Seagate tools then most likely it has failed beyond repair. I would suggest you replace it before even trying to use any other software to try to recover files that might be accessible by alternative means. There are programs available that search and recover (if they can recognise and access) failed drives but require a good drive where they will write the recovered data.

#8 ·
MEMTEST ran 10 passes with no errors so no problems there. I had an old hard drive that I kept around for the data. I plugged it in just to test it out and the computer booted up off that just fine, same cords as the other hard drive. I ran seatools on it just in case before booting up off of it, and it passed the short and long test.

So I looked up my seagate drive information and it falls under limited warranty :dance: I contacted them and after telling them what happened, they said it sounds like a hard drive failure as well.

Thanks for all the help here guys

#9 · (Edited)
the ST1000DM003 is only warranted for 2,400 hours use same as the ST3000DM001. I have had 30+ of these drives (after buying 6, the other 24 have been warranty replacements which are still ongoing)

its funny as the document here http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/barracuda-ds1737-1-1111us.pdf

suggests its good enough for :

• Desktop or all-in-one PCs
• Home servers
• PC-based gaming systems
• Desktop RAID
• Direct-attached external storage devices (DAS)
• Network-attached storage devices (NAS)

I would suggest its good enough as a paper weight nothing more!
(I mean come on whos going to build a PC / SERVER NAS that they can only use for 2,400 hours? )

If your drive has gone over the 2,400 hours usage mark they will charge you for the replacement. However as I am currently taking them to court over the attached document I cant possibly comment :angel:

#10 ·
the ST1000DM003 is only warranted for 2,400 hours
2,400 hours = 100 days or 3months @24/7

I knew that modern technology was going down the drain fast but not that fast !! In my opinion the warranty period reflects the manufacturers trust in its own products, the longer the warranty the fewer returns they expect to get ! A 3 month warranty means that basically they don't have any faith in the product at all.

#11 ·
disgusting isn't it? for a much trusted manufacturer to have such a shoddy product. I remember Fujitsu having the issue with the boards whereby the cleaning solution they used wrecked the hdd mainboard, at least they sent out free replacements no matter the age (we managed to get one 12 months ago to replace a 4.3gb disk). Was a bit pointless really as the machine it went into was an old DOS pc!

#13 ·
Judging by the number of drives I have seen during the last 7 years that failed during or shortly after warranty of both Seagate and WD I am reluctant to use either any more! Until recently I worked for a company that did maintenance for computer, Point of sale and networking systems for many retail chains and banks here in Greece. Failures were many & frequent requiring replacement each time. Unfortunately there were no manufacturers that were more reliable. I remember aat one time WD dropped there 3 year Warranty down to two years and both WD & Seagate gave no extended warranty at all on items sold to OEM to be included in "off the shelf" systems by well known manufacturers.

#14 ·
I know, huh? That really sucks as according to Spunk those are the ONLY 2 hard drive companies left manufacturing new hard drives!:facepalm: SEAGATE & WD. Though I guess there are some other guys making SSDs now such as Samsung; but who knows whether or not they are private label drives being actually manufactured in Seagate or WD factories in dublin, malaysia, or china??? :ermm:

This revelation has caused me to think about retiring sooner; but I still have a year to get my Soc.Sec.! arghhh! :cry:

Good luck <<<BBJ>>>:thumb:

#16 ·
I know, huh? That really sucks as according to Spunk those are the ONLY 2 hard drive companies left manufacturing new hard drives! SEAGATE & WD. Though I guess there are some other guys making SSDs now such as Samsung; but who knows whether or not they are private label drives being actually manufactured in Seagate or WD factories in dublin, malaysia, or china???
Yea, the list is kind of short for Hard Disk Drives

#17 ·
from your list only 5 companys manufacture hard disk drives and 3 of those I wouldn't touch with a barge pole as we say in the UK

SSD are still new technology and IMHO not to be trusted .. every time something new comes along in this modern technological world of ours it doesn't lkat anywhere near as long as its predecessor !!

#18 ·
@Superion: Sorry to tell you that DF is pretty much right; except it's only 4 companies on your list that actually manufacture disk drives. Mechanical drives, not SSDs or Hybrid SSDs. DF forgot that Toshiba no longer manufactures mechanical hard drives, they haven't made hard drives since 1991 when their whole division based in Irvine, California, got sacked (they laid off 500 people) and moved back to Japan. After a few more years they disbanded the division and altogether got out of the drive manufacturing business. I know this for a fact, since I used to work at that plant in Irvine, CA and was one of the many disk drive engineers laid off.:sad: Today, Toshiba buys millions of hard drives from Fujitsu and has them private-labeled and that's what they now exclusively put into their Toshiba laptops. Your list is wrong, since they didn't even include Fujitsu. Fujitsu has ownership by either Seagate or WD, no one here knows the exact ties. Hitachi drive division was purchased by WD a few years back. That leaves 2 hard drive companies; SEAGATE & WD. More and more computers are switching over to SSD drives due to the huge performance increase; however, as DF mentions, they are a LOT LESS reliable, and they don't last very long. I've yet to see a working SSD drive in any broken computer desktop or laptop that's been brought to me in the last 8 years. That's about how long that SSD technology has been on the market. DF's right on the money there. At least when I get broken computers with mechanical hard drives, most of them are working. So, 95% of your companies on your list are involved in making SSD drives, which is a huge new market. Eventually, they will all consolidate and fall out and it will be down to a few companies making them or the survivors will get gobbled up by Seagate and WD. Both of those companies have tried to buy Kingston, PNY, and others on this list. :rolleyes:

I guess my statement should have said "those are the "ONLY 2 reliable hard drive companies left manufacturing new hard drives!" So, I don't blame you for posting the list. I probably would have done the same thing. Us older guys tend to think of SSD technology as really new and untested; mechanical drive technology has been around 5 times as long (over 30 yrs.) and therefore pretty reliable. :wink:
<<<BBJ>>>

#21 ·
I guess my statement should have said "those are the "ONLY 2 reliable hard drive companies left manufacturing new hard drives!"
I Disagree .. they are purely the only two manufacturers left with a known good reputation for manufacturing hard disk drives. However they are living on borrowed time since they no longer have the quality they used to have and the only reason that they still sell drives is because there is currently no competition. I think they are working to the absolute limits of the technology trying to outsell each other with merchandise guaranteed to fail within a few years of use. They used to give 3 years warranty and that has gone. As I have said elsewhere Quality can be measured by the warranty period .. If you are so sure you are selling high quality goods you don't need to put a short limitation on the warranty period regardless of whether you are selling OEM or to the general public.

#19 ·
I have yet to buy an SSD. I am a bit hard headed when it comes to new things. The only way i'd manage to get one is if it was pre-installed into a computer and I felt a bit too lazy to switch it out. Thanks for correcting me on the 'list' I do use that for a manufacturer reference, not that I approve of any SSD companies. I couldn't tell you more than three names that manufacturer SSD's now that previously got their NAME from HDDs. I'm with you on that one BigBearJedi.

#22 ·
I Disagree .. they are purely the only two manufacturers left with a known good reputation for manufacturing hard disk drives. However they are living on borrowed time since they no longer have the quality they used to have and the only reason that they still sell drives is because there is currently no competition. I think they are working to the absolute limits of the technology trying to outsell each other with merchandise guaranteed to fail within a few years of use. They used to give 3 years warranty and that has gone. As I have said elsewhere Quality can be measured by the warranty period .. If you are so sure you are selling high quality goods you don't need to put a short limitation on the warranty period regardless of whether you are selling OEM or to the general public.
I'm sure they have started changing their warranty period because of the pure fact that SSD is being sold. Like you said with no competition, why compete with warranties when there is no competition. I don't think they could give two cents about selling high quality HDDs when the money is SSD. They know technology can only last so long at a certain rate before it gets better. Companies that invest in technology have to have a mind set about 5 years in advance. Now I won't go into SSD itself, it has a lot of problems because it has only been new for so long. Well, think about how hard it was to change people from XP to Vista or windows 7. Some people after continuous warnings about how unsafe XP is they still use it today. The market for HDDs will end when HDD is not sold anymore just like XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.