Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External Hard Drive - Toshiba

This is a discussion on External Hard Drive - Toshiba within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Switch off my PC of along with my external hard-drive, today, ive put it on, but my machine isn't picking

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Switch off my PC of along with my external hard-drive, today, ive put it on, but my machine isn't picking up the drive(external)

the power light is on, its making a 'click'..... 'click' noise.....

i'm so stressed, ive got all my work on it... can any help please

taken a look at their site...

http://eu.computers.toshiba-europe.c...ivers_bios.jsp

can't find any driver for my hard-drive....

the drive i have is this one...

http://images.kieskeurig.nl/images/p...26003EC8DD.jpg

Old 04-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Not...

Hi

You don't need drivers for an external HDD when you have XP.
Start the computer with the external HDD disconnected - connect the drive when Windows has loaded.
Try another USB cable and different USB ports on the computer.
Reseat the drive's power plug.
Do not connect the drive via a hub.

What model is the drive?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneles View Post
Hi

You don't need drivers for an external HDD when you have XP.
Start the computer with the external HDD disconnected - connect the drive when Windows has loaded.
Try another USB cable and different USB ports on the computer.
Reseat the drive's power plug.
Do not connect the drive via a hub.

What model is the drive?
I was told that i needed to update the driver....

I will follow the steps shown tonight,

The drive itself doesn't have a model number on it at all... just a Serial Number on it.... its the 250GB version.... with a silver casing
Old 04-24-2008, 02:01 AM   #4
Not...

OK. Keep us updated.

In Windows look for the drive in "My computer", "Device manager" and "Disk Management".
Old 02-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)

Hello,
There does not seem to be a conclusion or resolution to the problem.
I have now experienced the same system. Same Model.

Can you help?
Old 02-11-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Is the click a rhythmic click, does the drive spin down then back up?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

I own a 1 TB xeternal model of the drive and I use it as a network drive but if it sits too long it goes to sleep and shuts off I dont want it to do this as it needs to be always on what can I do to fix this
Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

I to am suffering this problem. I have had this drive for a few years now and as it is
360GB it has a lot of stuff on it, and if I can't get it going again I will have lossed all my kids photos. So as far as my wife's attitude will be, I'm a dead man walking.

I have tried a different USB cable and port neither has worked ! I have reseated the power and USB cables at the back of the drive (nothing), I have tried to look for the drive in "My computer", "Device manager" and "Disk Management", but as it isn't recognised it can't been seen.

I don't care if it never works again as I can buy another, I just want my kids photos back. Can anyone help!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Are you getting the click click described by the OP? If so then remove the disk from the enxclosure and try attaching it directly to a port on a desktop and see if it is recognised in BIOS. When you get it out, post the model number of the actual drive.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #10
Registered Member

Yes it is rhythmic click, and the drive doesn't power up. raptor_pa can you explain why does this happen, meaning why can it not power up.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

Problem solved ! remove the internal drive from its casing and plug it into a 3.5Inch USB 2.0 Hard Drive Enclosure (£26) and it will work again.

I have had the same problem and seen it come back to life with this enclosure !

happy days !
Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hi, i have a toshiba 2.0 EXT HDD USB Drive i'm not able to acess my drive. All that my hard disk does is that the power light is still( dosn't blink) and i can hear a click... click sound from the disk.The drive is not visible in my computer but it is visible in the device manger --> Disk Drives --> Toshiba 2.0 EXT HDD USB Drive and it shows that the drive is working properly.Can someone help me out whit this problem....thankx
Old 08-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

If you do what I did you'll get it to work. The incloser is a rather cheap fix £30plus you can extract all your old hard drives from old PC's and use them to store data.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
Registered Member

Help me please I have 1000 GB (1T) external driver Toshiba brand which it is half full but now it doesn't work any more. When this problem startedI was able to see the icon of the driver when inserted in the laptop but I couldnt open it, when I tried to open it, it demanded formatting it. but when I tried to format it I was told that the window was unable to complete format. I tried other options like using ubuntu to open it, but the icon was not seen in ubuntu. Now the icon of the driver is not seen when inserted but when I go the the manage after right clicking my computer I see the external driver and it reports that the driver is working properly and the size is 935GB and unallocated space is zero. So please help me what can I do with this problem.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #15
Registered Member

In the disk management the External hard drive appears at the bootom where the disks have been labelled as disk1, 2..., i have tried to change the letter to A, the letter on it came as disk 1 unknown with exact size of 935 GB and it is unlocated. But sometimes I dont see it there in the list and even the list of drives in first area. I click properties and it shows that the device is working properly. I have also tried to open using Hetman uneraser 3.1 (commercial edition), I also see the the HDD and it tries to do deep analysis and tries to recover the files, but they dont have names and when i open i see the documents that I do not know. I still need advice and I still trying so that I can use it.