Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External Hard Drive Possible Bad Sectors !!! HELP :(

This is a discussion on External Hard Drive Possible Bad Sectors !!! HELP :( within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64bit, Windows XP Home SP3 32bit

My System

Roll Eyes

Hi,

ok i have a seagate freeagent external hard drive 500gb and today it has got a hard drive click wen acessing certain files which it can not copy and are currupt so i think it may have bad sectors but i dont know for sure so i need to know how i can scan it for bad sectors ... i dont have a computer to put the drive in so as far as i know using an ultimate boot cd is no good for me ... there is alot of data on the drive that i rely do not want to loose i do not have enough space currently to move the data to a safer drive however i may soon be getting a wd mybook world 1tb network drive but that will not be untill they are instock or in a shop that i can get them from for a similar price.

************************************************************************************************

so basically i need a way to check this external drive for bad sectors but i dont know any programs that i can use.

************************************************************************************************

also i need a wd mybook world 1tb drive well i dont need it but i would like to purchase one soon i have seen them at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...(WDG1NC10000E) for £125 but they are out of stock so if you know of some where i can get one for a similar price i would be very grateful

Cheers

Tonk

Old 08-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

chkdsk /r can do that - BUT I wouldn't run it because you could create more damage than good. I would first get that new drive, and copy anything and everything I can get*. In the meantime, put the old drive in a safe cool place away from vibration and heat. If the data is super-valuable, send it away to a data recovery company. If you had Ontrack EasyRecovery Professional, I'd tell you to run hardware diagnostic on the drive (to make sure everything is fine). The reason is sometimes it's failing drive mechanics (like the actuator arms not positioning correctly) as opposed to defective media surface that's the reason of the bad sectors showing up. I don't know of any freeware tool that can do a quick hardware diagnostic though, but maybe someone else in the forum can help. From here on in, remember to treat that drive as read-only. Do not attempt to write data to it.

* when saving your data, remember any time you try to access your HD could be the last, so save the important/valuable stuff first - work/school documents, personal digicam pics or videos, e-mails (forget about the junk you download on file sharing programs - that can always be re-downloaded later)

P.S: If while trying to copy things to your new HD you're starting to get more and more errors (usually visible in event viewer - in classic control panel administrative tools), stop immediately. The drive is bad and needs to be sent to a data recovery company.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

I arnt even sure tho if the drive does have bad sectors because i was usin the vista disk management to resize sum partitions so that could be y the 2 files became currupt.

but saying that the 2 files hich were currupt were in the first 50 gb partition and i did all the partition shrinking enlarging etc in the 3 partitions in the extended partition
Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Shouls i use seagate tools to try and find the bad sectors on my external hard drive and repair them http://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p?p_faqid=4672
after the first 2 screen shots you should see that it says the long test is used to find and repair bad sectors so should i use this to try and repair the drive ??

any help is grately apreciated cheers

tonk
Old 08-27-2008, 05:10 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Like I said before, it's not clear if the bad sectors are showing up because of surface defects (minor) or because of more major problems. If it's the former, seagate tools, or even chkdsk/r should be just fine, any bad sectors (there shouldn't be many at all) will be marked and you'll only lose a file or two. If it's the latter, you could ruin your chances of recovering any data on the disk by running those programs. That's why I suggested running a hardware diagnostic tool before doing any surface scanning.
A way to tell if it's the former scenario or the latter one is to read (at your own risk btw) more data. Try copying other (preferrably non-important) files to your main disk. Are more bad sectors showing up? Are there more error messages in the event log? Are more files unreadable?
Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Well wen i was moving my data around on the disk yesterday i moved around 200gb on and off and around the disk to different partitions etc and at the end of it only 4 files (to my knowledge) where not ryt because i think they had become currupt i know one had because it was a film and it pplayed fine untill it got to the currupt bit and wouldnt play any more same way it would copy some of the file but not all

does that offer any more help to figuring out the problem
Old 08-27-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

below is a screenshot of my event veiwer with disk errors but i am not sure what this means can u shed more light on what this means eg does this show it is bad sectors or a different problem ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	33139  
Old 08-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

ok so looking closer at my event logs the errors only started on the 19th so 8 days ago

2 errors were on the 19th then another 2 on the 24th and then the other 45 were all on the 26th however on the 26th i did copy /move massive amouts of data around on the drive to this is possible only a few different bad sectors (i think) or could it be something more seriouse ??

the drive is a seagate freeagent desktop drive meaning that it is more than likly still under warenty with seagate so if the drive is dieing it can be returned (purchased from pc world) how ever there is alot of data on there that i need to keep so perferable i want to keep the drive or copy the data off it

like i said in post one i am interested in purchasing a wd mybook world 1tb external drive but i am unsure where to get one from that is around the £125 mark as i have seen them in a local store for that price however they are currently out of stock
Old 08-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

If you don't have a separate hard drive (or can't get one immediately), you can just burn the data to DVD media, or copy it to flash drives. And getting as many bad blocks as you're getting does mean the drive is dying. After you copy the data, I would advise checking that the copy is readable. Sometimes, if the data is not readable from the source, the copy will just fill up with zeroes.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

the things is tho i do not know if the drive is dying or if there is a few bad sectors that are re counted because on the days in question mainly the 26th i moved around 400gb around the drive and enlarged shrank partitions on it meaning they could have just shown up more than once but i shall get another hdd asap to copy the data and use seatools or checkdisk on it to try and fix the bad sectors then always have a copy of that drive sum where else ...

as i am dealing with upwards of 150gb dvds is impratical so i do need to get another hard drive asap ... this drive was used mainly for taking copys of all of my files befor i reformat my laptop meaning it has files on there tht i need to keep perferable and considering i recently have done a reformat not all the data tht is on tht drive is safe bak on my laptop

P.S is it safe to go around the drive just looking at the files that are on there not opening them but looking where they are which folder trees etc ??
Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk View Post
P.S is it safe to go around the drive just looking at the files that are on there not opening them but looking where they are which folder trees etc ??
That's exactly what I'm wondering myself. You could be destroying data by doing that if it's a dying drive. It's your call really. If you must really try to browse and open files (to see if the data is readable at all), try it on files that are not important to you (stuff you downloaded off the web for example). If it can't read it at all and there's severe corruption, then don't try to read anymore off of it. It's definitely beyond what regular users can fix and only data recovery companies can work on it.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

I may be getting a external drive off a friend on friday so untill then would it be best to just unplug the drive and leave it alone so its not spinning or anything ??

as the drive i may have on friday do u sujest i test it for bad sectors etc as it is not new however it is aparently unused ... in the box etc ?? or should i just trust it and copy the data to it ??

when i copy the data off the external drive should i go for the most important files first or last as the more use could creat more bad sectors (if tht is the problem) and make more files currupt tht are left on the drive ready to be copyed off

cheers for all ur help so far

Tonk
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

If you're going to read any files, go for unimportant ones, and closely monitor the event viewer (refresh it at least once before the read, and once after). If you see bad sectors popping up all over the place, then send the drive away to a data recovery company. Any further reads will only create further damage.