Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External Hard Drive NOT recognized

This is a discussion on External Hard Drive NOT recognized within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been looking for answers everywhere, but can't seem to find any... I have a Samsung SP2014N 200GB external hard

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to peter7373

I've been looking for answers everywhere, but can't seem to find any...

I have a Samsung SP2014N 200GB external hard drive that is connected to my notebook via USB.

The first 'symptoms' were noticable when Windows Media Player 11 kept freezing everytime I attempted to play mp3's which were stored on the hard drive.
A few days after that, the external hard drive (assigned as (F:) decided disappear from Windows Explorer.

Now everytime I plug in and switch-on the hard drive, a 'ballon' appears in the task bar recognising it has been plugged in... but it's not showing in Windows Explorer.

I've attempted to assign it another directory using Disk Management - but it doesn't show there too.

There's nothing strange in my Device Manager - but I may be wrong.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

Go back into Device Manager and remove/uninstall all USB (Universial Serial Bus Controllers) items and restart. Windows will reinstall/enable drivers upon restart and that should clear up any driver problems. Good place to start.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to peter7373

Hi seriouschat!

Thanks for the recommendation... Below are my results...

I uninstalled all the USB controllers, then restarted. After startup I plugged in and powered up my samsung SP2014N... this time the 'balloon' identified the external hard drive "Samsung SP2014N" and said it was ready to be used. But, still not showing in Windows Explorer.

Interesting, if I unplug or power-off the samsung, it breifly appears in Windows Explorer as "E:", but only for 2 seconds.

Also of interest is that my notebook won't restart or turnoff whilst the external hard-drive is plugged in and switched on.

(BTW - I now don't have sound as I've reinstalled XP Pro).

An ideas?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

I am no expert but found this thread via Google having experienced similar problems with both a Western My Book and a Seagate external hard drive. After turning off the computer, disconnecting all USB devices, then rebooting and connecting each USB device in turn, the problem turned out to be my newly-acquired HP OfficeJet All-in-One. If that is on and connected when I turn on the external hard dive, the latter is not recognised by Explorer and just keeps whirring away (and, the case of the My Book, flashing). Turn off the printer and wait for its USB connection to terminate and the hard drive works perfectly without more ado. I can turn the printer back on again (or just reconnect it) without causing any problems with either hard drive but cannot turn the hard drive off and then back on again without having to go through the same procedure. I do not think there is a drive letter clash as I have given each drive (including the multi-card drive built into the printer) its own drive letter via Disk Manager and XP remembers them. Perhaps someone more expert than me can interpret this experience into a generally applicable "fix"