Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External Hard Drive Error - Need to Format

This is a discussion on External Hard Drive Error - Need to Format within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am running Windows Vista, I have a 1.5 Terabite WD Elements External Hard Drive. It has all my

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I am running Windows Vista, I have a 1.5 Terabite WD Elements External Hard Drive. It has all my files on it. I was browsing through it when it suddenly froze and said that I needed to format the disk before I could use it. I haven't been able to get it to work since. I found some people with similar problems but I didn't want to try any of the solutions particular to them incase it caused another problem (as one of the reccomendations - run chkdsk on it - said that it could cause data loss). What should I do? Thanks.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Can you fell the drive spinning up and is it making any other noise? And you are correct not to run chkdsk until it is determined that it may be an issue chkdsk can handle.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Ok thanks. The drive has always been pretty silent but if I put my ear right next to it I can hear a running noise and feel slight movement.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Is this some kind of recognition problem of the hard drive or do I need to run some kind of data recovery software? Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Moderator hardware team

Its possible the controller in the External Case that communicates with your computers USB port has failed and the drive "could" be ok. Can you remove the drive from the external enclosure ? The only "issue" is if your specific model of External WD drive is using Encryption if yes then the data will be encrypted and not readable. Post the exact model of the Ext WD from the sticker on it as well.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 05-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
Registered Member

I don't see any screws or how the external enclosure can be removed, although there could well be some way of popping it open. The model number is WDBAAU0015HBK-AESN. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
Moderator hardware team

This model seems to be sold in Australia It seems to be encrypted as well. Have you tried a new USB cable to the drive ? Have you tried running R-Studio or any of the other recovery software programs to see if any data shows up to recover. If that's not something you want to run consider sending it to a DR firm.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 05-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

Is R-Studio the best thing to run? I also have been told to use TestDisk to repair the partition (although I got stuck in the instructions for that). If you think I should use TestDisk, I will post the problem I am having with it, if R-Studio, I'll give it a try, thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
Moderator hardware team

Yes you can use Testdisk not as user friendly interface as R-studio. Testdisk can do the job its very powerful but you have to "read" the documentation for it to better understand how to use it.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

I was going through the instructions for TestDisk, but was having difficulty because what showed on my screen was different than the corresponding image in the instructions.
When I got to 'current partition table status' it did not show up with anything other than "no partition is bootable" (unlike the picture in the guide).
I pressed Quicksearch and got this:

Only one partition appeared, unlike the guide picture.

I pressed P to list files, this appears:

Again, different to the guide.

Seeing it went some way off what the guide images were like, and it didn't mention that this might happen, I wasn't sure whether I was meant to proceed and do deeper search or write or whatever, or if there was something wrong and I might cause some further problem!

Any advice?

Or should I just give R-Studio a try instead?

Thanks.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
Moderator hardware team

Its an external drive so I wouldn't expect it to be "bootable" Yes run the deep scan and report back

Old 05-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Registered Member

I've attached the log if that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: txt testdisklog.txt (13.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #13
Moderator hardware team

Looks like you have some issues with the drive "read errors" if the data is needed you need to consider sending it off to a DR Pro with the equipment and knowledge to recover the data on this drive.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
Registered Member

I did want to try and get it fixed for free before I sent it to a DR expert. I could give R-Studio a try. It appears to be a software that you have to buy? Will I be able to tell by running the demo whether it would be able to recover my files or not? Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
Moderator hardware team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint View Post
I did want to try and get it fixed for free before I sent it to a DR expert. I could give R-Studio a try. It appears to be a software that you have to buy? Will I be able to tell by running the demo whether it would be able to recover my files or not? Thanks
R-Studio has a try before you buy option you can tell what it can see before you commit to purchase

Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
Registered Member

I ran R-Studio, tried a scan on the drive, it just got to a certain point and then would not go any further because of a read error. Is that it or is there a way to refine the scan to deal with this bad sector or whatever the problem is?
This is what it showed:

Error System 1/06/2011 4:32:14 p.m. Read disk WDExt HDD 10212002 at position 3222277120 failed after 2 attempts. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23).
Error System 1/06/2011 4:32:19 p.m. Read disk WDExt HDD 10212002 at position 3222277632 failed after 2 attempts. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23).
Error System 1/06/2011 4:32:48 p.m. Read disk G: at position 3221228544 failed after 2 attempts. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23).
Error System 1/06/2011 4:32:59 p.m. Read disk G: at position 3221229056 failed after 2 attempts. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23).
Information System 1/06/2011 4:34:44 p.m. Scanning drive WDExt HDD 10212002 started
Error System 1/06/2011 4:35:53 p.m. Read disk WDExt HDD 10212002 at position 323592192 failed after 1 attempts. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (1117).
Error System 1/06/2011 4:35:57 p.m. Read disk WDExt HDD 10212002 at position 323592704 failed after 1 attempts. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23).
Error System 1/06/2011 4:36:00 p.m. Read disk WDExt HDD 10212002 at position 323593216 failed after 1 attempts. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23).
Error System 1/06/2011 4:36:03 p.m. Read disk WDExt HDD 10212002 at position 323593728 failed after 1 attempts. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23).
Error System 1/06/2011 4:36:31 p.m. Read disk WDExt HDD 10212002 at position 323594240 failed after 1 attempts. Data error (cyclic redundancy check) (23).
Error Disk 1/06/2011 4:36:31 p.m. Read disk WDExt HDD 10212002 at position 323493888 failed. Scan process terminated.
Information System 1/06/2011 4:36:32 p.m. Scan has been completed for WDExt HDD 10212002 in 1m 47s
Information System 1/06/2011 4:36:32 p.m. Scanning drive WDExt HDD 10212002 canceled
Information System 1/06/2011 4:36:44 p.m. Enumeration of files for Extra Found Files started
Information System 1/06/2011 4:36:44 p.m. Enumeration of files for Extra Found Files completed
Old 05-31-2011, 11:12 PM   #17
Registered Member

I have the exact same problem as you. 1.5tb WD elements HD bought in singapore (so probably same as ozzie one) and windows vista. It just froze all of a sudden and couldnt be accessed, needed to be formatted too... only showed up in explorer as Local Disk G: instead of the usual WD logo and name... also have all the same screenshots as you and even the 'cyclic redundancy check' showing up as well

I had luck the first time round using testdisk but I wasn't sure how I fixed it.. unfortunately that only lasted 3 days before the same issue arose. This time round I can't fix it (also this is the time I get the cyclic redundancy crap).

I stumped up and bought a new hard drive (not WD) and am currently copying my files over to the new one using testdisk then will format the old one. I think this might be a cheaper option for you than a data recovery expert and at the end of the day you have a new hard drive too :)
Old 06-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #18
Moderator hardware team

Guys your drives have some serious read errors either due to weak head/heads or sectors going bad. No windows recovery software that I am aware of can get past these errors. Those of us in the DR field have paid thousands for systems that are able to image past these errors and get as much of the data as possible. You need to see Pro help to get the data off the drive at this point DIY has ended.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #19
Registered Member

Agreed that both drives are fuct. However I got almost all the data off (lost around 16 gig) using recover on testdisk. Also it did take near 26 hours for 500gb. Still I did lose some files as testdisk ran up an error saying - failed to open index allocation attribute. Directory inode (xxx) is corrupt or bug. I'm guessing this caused the problem?? Can anyone verify that or understand what it means?

Still I believe there is hope for u if u buy another drive and transfer. Like I said, worst case scenario u just have another drive for the future
Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 AM   #20
Moderator hardware team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosesSilva View Post
Still I did lose some files as testdisk ran up an error saying - failed to open index allocation attribute. Directory inode (xxx) is corrupt or bug. I'm guessing this caused the problem?? Can anyone verify that or understand what it means? Still I believe there is hope for u if u buy another drive and transfer. Like I said, worst case scenario u just have another drive for the future
MosesSilva the errors you are getting are more than likely due to sector problems with the media on the drive platters not something that can be fixed. Try running hddscan on the drive and press the smart button and past the image back here. I doubt the drive will get copied to another with all the errors most likely it will hang during the process

Closed Thread