Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External hard drive doesn't work

This is a discussion on External hard drive doesn't work within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just recently, my Western Digital external hard drive failed to work. It shows up in the "safely remove hardware" menu,

Old 05-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Just recently, my Western Digital external hard drive failed to work. It shows up in the "safely remove hardware" menu, and even states the drive letter it had when it was working (G). However, G doesn't appear in My Computer, and I have no way to access it at all.
I have tried turning off the hard drive plugging it in to different ports, and turning my computer off and on to no avail. Additionally, if I leave it on and plugged to my computer, my computer will not fully start up. It will get to the point where the Windows logo would normally appear with a jingle, but it will just stay there , on a black screen. Unplugging or turning off the drive will allow me to proceed. It also greatly prolongs the amount of time just to get to that point.
As well, I have tried to change its properties with the disk management tool, but it just hangs on saying "connecting to Virtual Disk Service" forever, until I unplug or turn off my external hard drive. If I plug the drive in after it starts displaying my normal hard drive, and then refresh, it displays both my external and my normal hard drive, however, I am unable to make any changes, as it freezes at this point. from this point on, the disk management tool will, always hang on "connecting to Virtual Disk Service", even if I unplug my external hard drive.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Could be a faulty drive. Test it with WD's diagnostic software "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic For Windows" from here: WD Support / Downloads / WD Elements / WD Elements Desktop

Ignore the picture of the external drive shown if yours is different. The same software can be used to test any external WD drive.

When testing, choose the "Long Test" for an accurate result.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Registered Member

If I plug it in it doesn't show up, unless I unplug it, in which case it shows up for less than a second as physical drive 2, and logical drive G.
There's something important I forgot to mention in my initial post: I was using this drive for 7 months without any problems.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Can you actually feel the drive spin up?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yes I can. It doesn't behave any differently from normal.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Can you test it in a different computer?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Registered Member

I tried it in a different computer. I had the exact same problems.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hddlabvn

Maybe your drive have bad in SA so firmware can't work normally.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #9

Hi, it seems that the problem is in hard drive. As u said that you have tried it to another system also, giving same problem means it has some issue. Is it creating any clicking noise? Try to maintain all the backup of your data if possible.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

The next step would be to pull the drive out of the USB enclosure and connect it directly to a port in a desktop as an internal drive.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Okay. I've decided to take the drive to a computer shop to see if they can do anything (I don't really know anything about computers myself). They will try connecting it directly to a computer, repairing it if it can be repaired, or trying to recover the data if it can't.
That'll be all.
Should I mark this thread as solved?