Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

external hard drive can't access

This is a discussion on external hard drive can't access within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I dropped my external hard drive a week ago and I found after teh drop that it was taking a

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

I dropped my external hard drive a week ago and I found after teh drop that it was taking a long time to play movie files located in the drive. Well now when I start it up It more or less freezes the "My computer" window when I go and look to see if it has been recognized by the computer. when I turn it off everything is back to normal. I need to access/copy the data on the HD is there away to do so without having to wait, if it happens at all, for my computer to show the drive listed in the "my computer" screen?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:18 AM   #2

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Hello...
What make/model is your DD???
Visit manufacturers Web Site, download diagnostic tools and test your DD for possible bad sectors...
DDS are very sensitive and DD is maybe dying...
I would backup all important files just in case...

Keep us posted...

Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

You are going to have to have the disk spinning correctly. Check the drive make and model in device manager ( not the enclosure, the actual internal drive will be listed in Device manager ) My guess would be the drive is a seagate and the spindle shaft has been bent in the drop. This drive is failing. Copy your data off NOW before running the diags. The more the drive is used, the greater the chance it will fail permanently. Damage caused in a drop is almost never user repairable, it would require a clean room and qualified tech to rebuild the drive. Get the data first then you can analyze the problem.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

There is a slim chance to recover the faulty HDD.
It always depends on a luck, and damaged drive itself.
If you really need to get yor data back, you should send it to a data recovery company. I think it is worth trying.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

hello the problem is that I can't;y back up the hard drive without being able to access it through my computer, in other words the drive does not show up in my list of HDs on my computer. Anyway around this problem?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Obama I's my father

My System

You can always try freezing the drive this slows down data transfer but the drive is pretty much useless after freezing from all the moisture built up when you pull it out of the freezer.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

The problem is, the more you try to fix it at home, the greater chance of doing mhe external housing and connect it directly to the PC. When you have it out, get the make and model number of the drive. Any time a drive is dropped and starts having problems then a physical issue is the first suspect. If it is a physical error there is nothing you can do with software and home remedies.. above all else, do not attempt the freezing method you find on the web. Placing a drive in the freezer causes condensation on the platters and other internal components, which can then freeze to a layer of ice and do damage to the heads and platter surface. Drives are dust tight, but not airtight. There is filtered air exchange to the outside world, just well filtered to prevent contamination inside the case.