Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External Hard Drive cannot be detected by computer and freezes Windows explorer

This is a discussion on External Hard Drive cannot be detected by computer and freezes Windows explorer within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, have a 640GB external Samsung S2 portable external hard disk that suddenly cannot be detected by my computer.

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all, have a 640GB external Samsung S2 portable external hard disk that suddenly cannot be detected by my computer. The strange thing is an autoplay search window briefly appears and when i go into my computer it either freezes windows explorer or my external HDD appears as a local disk instead of "samsung". I'd like to keep the 250gb of stuff on there and not resort to formating the hdd. I'm running Windows XP, and it DOES show up in Disk Management. BTW the hdd is formated in NTFS format.
I tried TestDisk up to step J. I saw a thread on the forum that suggest going to advanced after step C in choosing whether Intel/pc partition and there is a repair bs option as well as repair mfs option but I was not sure which to take so....hoping for any suggestions.
The particular thread http://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...en-200538.html

MANY Thanks! All help is much appreciated.