Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External hard drive asks to format chkdsk does not work

This is a discussion on External hard drive asks to format chkdsk does not work within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Western Digital 1TB passport (NTFS) P/N: WDBABM0010BBK-00 recently started asking me to format it whenever I plug it in.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

My Western Digital 1TB passport (NTFS) P/N: WDBABM0010BBK-00 recently started asking me to format it whenever I plug it in. I keep my itunes library (including the .itl library file) on the hard drive, and the last thing I did was have the hard drive plugged in and itunes open and I put my computer in hibernate. When it woke up it asked to format. This has happened to my other Western Digital passport, but I was able to fix it with a "CHKDSK J: /r /f", but that isn't working this time.

The results of CHKDSK are here:

View image: capture2

I also tried testdisk based on another forum post.

The results of testdisk are here:

View image: Capture

I also tried plugging it into my pc booted up in ubuntu, but the hard drive didn't show up. I don't really know anything about linux, I just heard that might help.

I thought of formatting and then using some kind of recovery tool, but I don't know of any or how to use them.

Anyone have a solution to this? Thanks!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You can download the WD DataLifeGuard for Windows and run that on the drive. If all else fails, then download the demo version o f R-Studio and let it scan your drive. You will need a drive of the same size to recover your files to.

spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

I ran the WD DataLifeGuard for Windows test on the drive, but it said it passed...
the result of the test is here:

View image: Capture3

Would reformatting and using a recovery tool after the format work? is f R-Studio best?
Old 04-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
Moderator hardware team

Just scan with demo of r-studio DO NOT FORMAT the drive that makes recovery more difficult

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote