Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External eSATA RAID device - Please help!!

This is a discussion on External eSATA RAID device - Please help!! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I need help from someone who is an expert in RAID configurations and troubleshooting. I have an IT company and

Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

I need help from someone who is an expert in RAID configurations and troubleshooting.

I have an IT company and am ashamed that I don't know more about RAID than I do. (please don't kick me while I'm a little down)

I have a customer that brought me his computer and external storage device because he couldn't access any of the data on the device after he upgraded a driver on his computer. Here is the equipment:

G-Speed ES external RAID storage device
link - G-SPEED eS - External RAID and JBOD Up to 12TB | G-Technology

HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 controller card
link - HighPoint-RocketRAID 2314

He has 4 X 3TB Hitachi drives in the G-Speed ES configured to RAID 0 for a total of a 12TB of storage.

When he brought the equipment to me, I uninstalled the RAID controller drivers and reinstalled them. When I reconnected the G-Speed, I did not connect it to the RocketRAID (which has the port multiplier technology). I instead connected it to the onboard eSATA. I went to Disk Management in the Control Panel (he has Vista), and a window popped up telling me "You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it." I wasn't thinking, and chose "OK". Then, Vista initialized the disk with a MBR partition and the disk began showing up in Disk Management as 3TB of Unallocated Space.

I figured out that it needed to be plugged into the RocketRAID, but now when I plug it into the RocketRAID, the whole 12TB (actually about 11.2TB) is showing up in Disk Management as one drive with 12TB Unallocated Space.

It's a weird configuration to me, not the typical RAID setup. One eSATA cable connects from the G-Speed to the RocketRAID card, almost like a USB hub would connect and show multiple devices. When the one eSATA cable is connected, nothing shows up in My Computer, but as I stated above, the entire 12TB shows up in Disk Management as Unallocated.

I would appreciate any help from techs that know what they are doing with this. PLEASE do not just start throwing out things to try. I really need someone who is a genius at working with RAID and even the Port Multiplier technology, which I haven't seen before.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Moderator hardware team

Tech-harmony May I make a suggestion since your dealing with "customer" data and you have made some admitted mistakes it may be in you and your customers best interest to hand this off to a pro with the tools knowledge to resolve this. RAID0 recovery is no cake walk. I have done many myself. This one wont be easy since the drives have been initialized. If not evident Customer should "ALWAYS" have a backup that needs resolved during this excersise.

Try not to take offense this is just another point of view. You are posting on a forum that is "manned" by volunteers that are not paid. Yes their are some really good techs on here but this is a "free" forum I think your expectations are a tad high based on your post. You want a "genius" to assist you in a difficult recovery of important customer data on a "free" forum.

not sure where you are located not in your current profile

I would call Craig at Raid Recovery Labs RAID DATA RECOVERY - In-Lab and Remote Data Recovery he is a "genius" but far from "free" if your customers data is worth it he will help you out. let Craig know I sent you his way as a professional courtesy.

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote