Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External Drive not showing copied files.

3K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I have a Toshiba 500GB external drive, with which I know I have saved many files. In 'Properties', it shows that app. half of the drive is full, but I cannot see any files when I open it except ones that look like embedded by Toshiba. I have clicked on each of these 'Properties', but they only contain the odd small file - nowhere approaching 250GB!
Why is this happening?
Where have my saved files gone?

#2 ·
In Windows Explorer, go to Tools/Folder Options/View make sure Show Hidden Files and Folders is checked. Now see if the files were hidden. You now should be able to check the properties of the hidden files and uncheck the Hidden attribute.

#3 ·
spunk.funk Thanks for your reply.That didn't show any difference!
What it shows:
WindowsImageBackup . File folder
JOHN-HP. File folder
images. File folder
Mac Driver. File folder
Pogoplug PC. File folder
MediaID.bin. Bin file
TOSHIBA STOR.E CANVIO. Foxit Reader PDF...
NTI Backup Now EZ. Application
Software Offer. HTML Application.
All with various dates, but none of my copied files!

#5 ·
Can't remember how I "saved" my files. What an amazing piece of software!
Thanks for that, but the results show exactly the same as my report to you. It is a complete mystery to me because it is a 500GB drive, and shows used, 222GB, and 243GB free space! Even if I didn't save anything, the drive should show nearly full?
I DO appreciate your input, and if you can throw some light on this, please HELP!
( How do I attach files, etc. )?
Thanks again!

#6 ·
Run Check Disk on the drive. Go to Start/Search and type CMD right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type the drive letter of the Toshiba driver (eg) G: and press enter (eg) G:\> at this prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will go through 5 stages and may take a while.

#11 ·
spunk.funk
Still trying to get to grips with Space Sniffer, but also have other problems with PC. I am in touch with my service provider regarding frozen "Send" emails, and Windows not updating. So, please don't think I am ignoring your very helpful suggestions, but I will come back to you ASAP.
Many thanks,
megaman99

#13 ·
punk.funk.
Updates:
I have an 8.1 (Win. 7 emulation!) laptop, and following you suggestion, tested the external drive with it, but, sadly, the results were as I have previously posted.
The laptop functions fine, with updating and emailing no problems!
With reference to the other (2) problems on my DESKTOP, IE, unable to SEND emails without freezing (then eventually can send), and Windows flatly refusing to Update, these problems persist.

#14 ·
Go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow. This will replace any missing system files.
Once run, if it says it could not fix some problems, then run SFCfix.exe, then run SFC /scannow again.

#15 ·
spun.funk
Thank you for your continuing support.
I did SFC /scannow, followed by the .exe file SFCfix - hopefully I have attached the results, which shows some corrupted files.
Repeated SFC /scannow which then did not show any integrity violations.
Sadly, the problems persist.

Attachments

#17 ·
spunk.funk
Is this any help?
Control Pane. All Control Panel Items.Action Center, Check for solutions reveals:
(Many lines of the same summary)
Ticked. Microsoft Security Client User Inteface:
Summary MSSecurity

Date/s
View Technical Details - see attachment 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ticked. Network Diagnostic Framework.
Summary: Unable to diagnose/repair network problems 01/08/2015 -attachment 2
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NVidia Streamer service (18 dates)
Stopped working - (dates 27/07/2015 - 02/08/2015)
see attachment 3.
END
Expect 3 attachments shortly!

Attachments

#20 ·
JimE.
When I run Windows Update....check for updates button, new box "Windows Update".
Click - result: Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.
(Nothing is resolved after restarting, and I seem to end up with the same boxes, etc., asking the same questions and ending up as before!)
So, I still have 3 unresolved situations with my PC, IE., not able to Update Windows. Not able to "SEND" emails when I need to and not showing any files saved on my external Toshiba drive!
Rich-M.
I do have Recuva installed, but reluctant to use that at the moment. Did you mean to try it on the External drive?
Many thanks to all Forum members who are devoting their time to these problems.
megaman99

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.