Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External Drive Newby Has Backup Problem

This is a discussion on External Drive Newby Has Backup Problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was finally successful in installing the 64 bit OS software for my 500gb FreeAgent Desktop external hard drive but

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

I was finally successful in installing the 64 bit OS software for my 500gb FreeAgent Desktop external hard drive but had a problem with the backup.

I did my first backup and when it was finished it said that the backup was unsuccessful. When I opened the "Backup Log" there were literally hundreds and hundreds of the following statements:

"Skipped C:\Users\Rick\Local Settings\Application Data Not Supported/File skipped (backup of operating system files and folders ( those that have both system and hidden attributes) is not supported)

Skipped C:\Users\Rick\Local Settings\History Not Supported/File skipped (backup of operating system files and folders ( those that have both system and hidden attributes) is not supported."

However, when I got to the end of the report there was the following statement which would indicate that the backup was at least mostly successful as it says that there were only 12 files that is was unable to backup.

"Copied 31282 files, 53034092183 bytes. Total files protected: 31366. Unable to backup 12 file(s)"

So what gives here? Do I have a problem?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

What were you attempting to backup?
How did you do the backup?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

I was backing up my "Personal Folder" using the Seagate FreeAgent 500gb Desktop external hard drive. My PC is a Gateway DX4710-UB002A Desktop. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Probably skipped files that were in use by the OS and locked. Usually freebie software doesn't do locked file backups.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Registered Member

So (and excuse this senior citizen's woeful lack of computer knowldege) I shouldn't worry if I get the message from FreeAgent that the backup was unsuccessful? There's no problem with the hundreds and hundreds of files that were skipped (FreeAgent message: "Skipped C:\Users\Rick\Local Settings\Application Data Not Supported/File skipped (backup of operating system files and folders ( those that have both system and hidden attributes) is not supported)?"

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

The primary idea of a backup is to protect your data, he things you create that can't be reinstalled.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Registered Member

At the risk of trying your patience.......

What I don't understand is how the backup log can list hundreds and hundreds of files that were "skipped" and not backed up, and then the final statement at the end of the log says "Copied 1895 files, 727643174 bytes. Total files protected: 29206. Unable to backup 29 file(s)" This says to me that only 29 files were not backe up, not hundreds and hundreds. (Each of the hundreds of files in the log says: "Skipped C:\Users\Rick\Local Settings\Application Data Not Supported/File skipped (backup of operating system files and folders ( those that have both system and hidden attributes) is not supported).

I'm particularly concerned in that most of the files listed as being skipped are my photographs which, of course, can't be replaced.

Thanks for bearing with me.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Hmmm photos should not have system attributes set - it is hidden since it is in the 'loacl settings' folder - which is an unusual place for photos. Try saving your photos to a folder other than the default folder in your user folder, make a new folder in teh root of c and copy the files over there, then see if it will back them up
Old 12-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

The Seagate Software works ok IF you tweak it. See below. had a great deal of frustration with this as well. First I tried messing with the file attributes, which created more problems than it solved. Just trust me on that one. Here's what I finally figured out: The default factory software settings from Seagate include a WHOLE LOT of UNNECESSARY files and file-types. Fortunately the software also includes the ability to uncheck folders and exclude specific file-types.

STEP ONE: I went to Seagate Manager and chose Backup>Edit Backup Settings
STEP TWO:I unchecked system-related folders in the documents and settings folder (folders such as LocalService and NetworkService for instance... any folder which was creating errors in my log, and which contained files which I did not generate).

STEP THREE: Click Next and Procede to the FIle-Types. Choose Custom. Choose Exclude These File-Types. Click on any File-Types which cause errors and you know you did not create (such as .db, .dat, .ini, .log, .sys) and click on the Add>>> button. This creates a list of excluded file-type.

STEP FOUR: Rename your Seagate Backup folder on your external drive. The software will create a new one and a brand-new clean log on your next backup.

After a fresh backup, your log will contain actual usable information, as opposed to buckets of spam which obfuscate and camoflage any important errors.

I hope this helps.