Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

External drive keeps restarting

This is a discussion on External drive keeps restarting within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 2TB Seagate HD, that I've connected in an external case I had lying around, but the drive

Old 12-20-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 2TB Seagate HD, that I've connected in an external case I had lying around, but the drive randomly "restarts" and reconnects. Has anyone had a similiar issues. Failing drive or bad case?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Moderator hardware team

Can be both. Can you run the Seagate Seatools diagnostics on the drive while connected inside a desktop PC ? What kind of ext case do you have how many watts is the power supply running it. When you say "restarts" can you be more specific not sure what its really doing spinning up and down ? power off and on completely ?

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

one other possibility - it could also be some utility or other software scanning your drives.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Networks View Post
Can be both. Can you run the Seagate Seatools diagnostics on the drive while connected inside a desktop PC ? What kind of ext case do you have how many watts is the power supply running it. When you say "restarts" can you be more specific not sure what its really doing spinning up and down ? power off and on completely ?

I don't know the brand of the external enclosure, but i do know the power supply provides ~2W of power but the hd only requires like .2 watts. When the drive restarts it gets unmounted, kind of clicks a little and sounds like a normal drive would starting up. I'm hoping the click isn't the sound of the head hitting the platters, I've only had this drive running 2 to 3 months.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #5
Moderator hardware team

Sounds like power but at same time clicking worries me. Can you run drive in a desktop for a few days to see if it has same problems ?

Please mark the thread solved when your question has been answered to your satisfaction

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Networks is offline   Reply With Quote