Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

exFAT and Mac compatibility

This is a discussion on exFAT and Mac compatibility within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. EDIT: Okay, further research has found the answer and it is NO! Macs can't write to exFAT. So now my

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

EDIT:
Okay, further research has found the answer and it is NO! Macs can't write to exFAT. So now my question is how come in Vista I only have the options to format it in NTFS or exFAT and not FAT32?

I have a 500GB seagate free agent go. I am trying to format it in FAT32 because I need to use it on both a PC and a Mac (Mac can't write to NTFS). When I try to format it in Vista I only have the options of NTFS and exFAT, but no FAT32. So question 1 is will exFAT work with Macs? If not why does it not give me the option to format it in FAT32? At first I was thinking maybe the drive is too large, but I believe that when I bought it it came formatted in FAT32 and I reformatted it in NTFS because at the time I didn't plan on using it with a Mac.

I don't want to go ahead and format it in exFAT, transfer all my data to it and then take it to class Monday only to find out that I can't edit my files, so I want to be sure that Mac can read and write to exFAT. I'm hoping they can because of the benefits of exFAT over FAT32.

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8.1 Pro x64 Update 1, Windows 7 SP1 x64 & x86, VISTA SP2 x64 & x86, Windows XP SP3

My System

Vista can format FAT32 but only up to 32GB.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Windows Vista GUI programs will only format up to 32GB as FAT32, but using the CMD window you can format up to a 1TB drive.

format [drive]: /FS:FAT32