Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

errors in volume bitmap

This is a discussion on errors in volume bitmap within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi! i have a problem with my HD Maxtor: i have made a chkdsk with windows xp (FS in NTFS)

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

hi! i have a problem with my HD Maxtor: i have made a chkdsk with windows xp (FS in NTFS) and as result it has found errors in volume bitmap with these messages (sorry but they are in italian)

So i repeated operation with /f parameter and, after system reboot, it run regulary with errors correction. But when i repeated chkdsk it found again errors in bitmap volume. How can i resolve this problem? i have tried to make tests with Powermax, maxtor utility (except low level format) but it hasn't found any problem. what do you suggest? is there another utility for this problem?
sorry for my english, it is very poor..
thanks in advance

Old 07-19-2005, 11:34 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have a read through this
http://www.elburro.net/index.php?id=30

Old 07-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

thanks! i have read that web page: i haven't sp2. i have tried to run chkdsk /p /r in recovery console as suggested and then i have defragmented MFT with Perfect Disk 7 that i have but, when i run chkdsk from command prompt in windows the problem persists
what do you suggest?
Old 07-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

according to the link a full reinstall is required
Old 07-20-2005, 02:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

ok! maybe i also make a low level format. but if i reinstall will the problem be resolved?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:50 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...us/chkdsk.mspx
not running into this before only know what found searching,a format should fix
Old 07-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

i haven't understood very well what you want to tell me but, before to format, is there any other way can help me? really i haven't understood what the real problem's cause is..
Old 07-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i don't know what the root of the problem is,after searching all over the net. the only posted solution i found was to clean install,
with no reply as to whether it fixed the problem or not
Old 07-23-2005, 06:11 AM   #9
Registered Member

ok!thanks..i will try to format hd (but not now) and then i will post it if the problem will be resolved
Old 07-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #10
retired

Quote:
i haven't understood what the real problem's cause is
I will try to give you an explanation of what is happening...

Operating Systems use a bitmap to keep track of the space in a volume (ie: hard drive partitions) that is being used, and what space is still available. This is called a volume bitmap.

If you ever ran the Windows95/98 defrag program and watched the details-it showed a window full of little squares being moved around-then you've seen a close representation of a volume bitmap. The little squares are the bits in the map.

So how does it get messed up?
Well, if your computer occasionally freezes/crashes then the open files on the hard drive don't get closed properly so there are errors and corrupted files. This includes the metafiles that keep track of your directory system. Usually, windows does a pretty good job of recovering from these small disasters. But if it freezes/crashes frequently then it causes so many problems that errors compound and cannot be fixed.

How to avoid it?
Fix the problem that creates the freezes/crashes. If it's a software program then get rid of it. If it's a piece of hardware then replace it. Not only does it cause problems for the file system, these freezes/crashes are hard on the computer itself and wear it down. If not fixed properly then it eventually will fail completely-which is much more expensive to fix.
There was a popular oil filter commercial in the 70's. The mechanic said 'you can pay me now or you can pay me later', referring to changing the oil filter when doing an oil change is cheaper/smarter than replacing the engine later because a dirty oil filter destroyed it.

Also do regular cleanups. Temporary internet files are clutter. Why make your computer keep track of 50 plus megs of files that likely won't be accessed ever again. Do a defrag every week. Don't ignore freezes/crashes, something caused it-try to find out what it was and fix it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard drives use a volume bitmap to keep track of useable/bad sectors. When a bad sector is detected, the bit is marked as bad so it doesn't get used. Some drives have reserve sectors, so it can bring one of these into the map as a replacement. This bitmap can be corrupted and create problems. Get a diagnostics program from the manufacturers website to check a hard drive before using it.

It is a good practice to always run a diagnostics on a hard drive, even new ones, before putting it into use.

Closed Thread