Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Disk Failure - what does this mean?

This is a discussion on Disk Failure - what does this mean? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just had a warning message saying: "Disk failure at controller 1 channel 2, slave" what does this mean? What

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just had a warning message saying:

"Disk failure at controller 1 channel 2, slave"

what does this mean? What just happened? can anyone help me?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Sounds like your slave hardrive is about to fail, you should try and backup anything important on it first.

If you get that out of the way look on top of the drive for the name of the manufacture and go to their website and download teir diagnostic tools to check the drive

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

The man who built my computer put something called Raid on my computer, does that have anything to do with it?

Also about a month ago when I turned my computer on I had an message saying that my raid wanted to duplicate something. I was told to bypass it until the man who built the computer and placed the Raid on it had time to look at it. Then he worked on it and up until today all has been well.

Is any of this related?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

yes that very well could be related and you should contact him as soon as possible, there are diffent types of raid setups but in short raid uses two hardrives to act as one to enhance performance or backup data

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Is there any way through guidance from this forum that I could fix things myself? Since he is very hard to get a hold of and is even slower to return my computer to me....
Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Well yes but if the system is under warranty I am a bit reluctant because it will most likely void it.

personely I would not use raid, IMHO it is not worth the bother, I would set it up as single drive with the operating system and 2nd drive as extra space and manual backup.

If you would like to proceed please tell us the following

1) is there any data on the computer that canot be lost?
2) What motherboard you have, look on the motherboard, most times the brand name and model is printed on it.
3) What operating system(windows) and were you supplied with a disk?
4) Were you supplied with a motherboard disk?

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Registered Member

I don't think it is under any warranties, it was custom built by a friend not to be anything fancy just to save a little money at the time.

I think that I should think on it overnight, just to be really sure that I want to go through with this and not just drop off my computer for a week.

By the way all I know how to back up is my Quickbooks and My Documents is there anything else that I should backup? And/or an easier way?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:16 AM   #8
Registered Member

When it says disk I am assuming that disk and hard drive are the same thing, is that correct?

And if so, then when it says "slave" what does that mean? Is that the second hard drive that is the copy or duplicate to the main one?
Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
When it says disk I am assuming that disk and hard drive are the same thing, is that correct?
Yes

Quote:
And if so, then when it says "slave" what does that mean?
A slave drive is the second drive in the system, the non boot drive or the drive that does not contain the operating system, this drive is for additional storage. This is in a standard computer with 2 hardrives.

When raid is used this is where it gets complicated and hard to understand because there is different levels of raid, (and we don't know how yours is setup) Raid 0 uses both drives and scatters data over both drives to improve performance, Raid 1 (this is what I suspect you have) has 2 hardrives (HDD's) the second(slave) is a mirror of the first, if one drive fails the system contiues to work.

Something you could do to verify one of the hdd's is going bad is to goto the drive manufactuers website and download there diagnostic tools. These tools usually come in 3 versions,,,,,

1) windows version, you can run these diag tools to test the drives from within windows
2) Floppy version, you create a bootable floppy, you then boot from the floppy to run the tests, this is to test drives when you can't boot into windows
3) cd version, you download this as a iso image and uding burnibg software you create a bootable cd, this is used to boot from just like the floppy version.

I suggest you try 1 and run from within windows because it is easier, but I have never used these types of diag tools with raid run from within windows so I am not sure how that will go but it won't hurt to try.

If that don't work out try the other version

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
Registered Member

I found Highpoint Raid Management software on my computer, and I was reading some of the info there and I think you are right, I seem to have Raid 1.

Please bear with me I am a little nervous about messing around with this Raid thing. I was wondering if you would be willing to give me a little overview of what I would need to do to fix this disk failure problem.

How do I know what kind of hard drive I have? Could it be Antec? thats what the case says :)

besides all this my AVG came up with some reading errors and stopped working correctly.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

It would be best if we determine witch drive in the system is bad and remove it.

Antec is the case manufacture a good one I might add, remove the side cover, find the hard drive's, the manufacture will be printed on a lable on top, something like "western digital" (WD), "Seagate" could be another, "Maxtor" still another and a few more.

Then follow post #9 above explaining about the hdd manufactures diagnostic tools. If you need help with these let me know.

Also while the case is open look at the motherboard (its what everthing attaches too) find the name and model number and let me know what it is, I need his to download your manual.

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #12
Registered Member

I am going to throw a bunch of information at you and pray you can sort it out. Remember that screen when I booted up that I told you about were it said Raid wanted to duplicate something, its back and this is what it says:

Critical Raid 1
1. duplicate now
2. continue to boot (this is what I choose to bypass it)

Critical Status
The Raid 1 array needs to be duplicated to ensure data consistency.

Array Members
Channel:
Primary Slave(PS)
Secondary Slave(SS)

Drive name:
PS: Maxtor 6E040L0
SS: Maxtor 6E040L0

Array Name:
PS: COPYAB
SS: COPYAB

Mode:
PS: ATA/133
SS: ATA/133

Size(GB):
PS: 41.10
SS: 41.10

My Motherboard is ABIT KX7-333

I am also having problems with my AVG that I think is a result of this. I can't get it to turn on, something about it not being connected. Would you suggest that I start a thread in security or are you able to help me with that too?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #13
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Ok what that means is one of the hd's in the raid setup has failed, you can continue to boot to windows however becuase the other drive is still good.

This is actually a good thing the system did exactly what it is designed to do

Remember when I said that when using raid 1 each drive is a mirror of the other, thats why you are still able to boot with a faulty drive the other drive is a exact copy and still working.

The raid software has sensed that a drive has gone bad and wants to mirror or copy the good drive to another,(to replace the broken slave) thats why you get the "duplicate now" message. Of course you can't do that because the 2nd drive or "slave" is broken.

We need to determine witch drive is bad, remove it and replace it with a new one, then use the duplicate now option to put the computer back to its orginal state.

This will requirer you to physically remove the drive and order and replace it witch I can guide you in doing both, ,,,,,,,

Do you feel you can do this? Its not hard if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

As far as AVG, I need the exact error but it maybe easier to uninstall it and reinstall

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Registered Member

First I want to thank you for your help and for being so patient, I am very new to this and a little nervous - I just don't want to have to explain to my husband how I broke our computer! :)

Second, I think I am mechanically inclined. And if you are patient with me and give me step by step instructions I know that I can do it.

Third, will it hurt anything if I continue to boot without duplicating for a few days untill I can talk this over with my husband?

I found an error message for the AVG:

Anti virus component status could not be determined - connection failed
Resident Sheild: Resident Shield is not loaded.

Have any suggestions?
Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Susanna, I am very patient so no problem there, you have to be when working remotely.
Don't be nervous, think of this as a learning experiance and soon you'll be building your own computer.

It will not hurt a thing to continue to boot the computer in fact you could do it indefinitely and not even replace the failed drive, your choice. Even though I am not a big fan of raid thats the beauty of it and maybe this experiance with it has me thinking otherwise.

I am going to download your manual and look for another drive and check a few other things out

I use AVG also, for years, and I recall getting that error twice before, once a simple reboot fixed it the other time I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling.

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

One more thing I want to make you aware of if you decide to do this, mainly so I don't forget to mention it before we start.

ESD, (elctro staic discharge) You no how when walk across a carpeted floor and touch something metal and get that zap, well this is ESD and its harmfull to computer parts so,,,,,,,,

Work in a short sleved shirt
Work on a tile or wood floor, not carpet
Touch the computer case before touching anything inside

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
Registered Member

Thanks for the help!

I am going to see if a reboot will help and if not I'll just reinstall. Can I uninstall in control panel > add or remove software? Or is there some special thing to do?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 PM   #18
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Yes just uninstall it thru control panel>add/remove programs thats all, then reinstall.

If you are running the free version download the latest here

http://majorgeeks.com/AVG_Free_Edition_d886.html

Download it first to your desktop, then remove with add/remove programs then reinstall the newly downloaded version.

After the new install make sure you check for updates.

JOIN TEAM TSF
Closed Thread