Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Disk 1: Dynamic Errors

This is a discussion on Disk 1: Dynamic Errors within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I use a Seagate 500gb and I recently bought another one, exactly the same. In BIOS it detects the 2nd

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

I use a Seagate 500gb and I recently bought another one, exactly the same. In BIOS it detects the 2nd Seagate fine, and everything seems to be working.

When I went to My Computer, only my main (C:/) drive was showing up. So I went into Disk Management and saw Disk 0: main hard drive, etc. and Disk 1: Unallocated space.

I could not format or anything so I was trying random options hoping for the best. At first I turned the drive from a basic drive to a dynamic drive. Then I right clicked and hit 'offline' and the second hard drive would not show up in My Computer still, but now it wasn't in Disk Management either.

I played around a bit in the DOS menu of 'diskpart'. I got the drive back online, but the status of the drive in Disk Management is now: "Disk 1: Dynamic Errors". If I right click my ONLY options are Offline, Properties, Help.

In 'diskpart' I tried to run the command 'clean' and 'clean noerr' to try to bypass errors, but it said "The operation could not complete on a drive that is read only."

Now I don't know what to do. ALL I want is to be able to use my second hard drive. There's no information on it, so I don't care about saving anything. If I have to wipe the hard drive somehow as well as my main working hard drive, I don't care. As long as I can get them both working together. PLEASE HELP!

P.S. I use Windows 7 64bit.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Google Gpart. Its a Linux partition manager, very powerful. It comes on Puppy Linux live cd, although I believe you can now download it by itself. It has two partition managers.
If Gpart won't do what you want the second will.
I believe that Win7 has the ability ti burn ISOs. Apparently you double click the ISO and point it to the burner.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

ALternatively - zero wipe the disk with killdisk or dban and start over with a fresh slick disk...
Old 05-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thank you raptor_pa! I tried dban before but it didn't work, killdisk worked great! I was still unable to use the hard drive after but it cleared the errors and such.

Afterwords I realized it was stuck as a read-only drive so I had to go into diskpart and clear it's attributes. After that I could format and voila!

Thanks again!