Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Dell hard drive upgrade, new drive not recognized

This is a discussion on Dell hard drive upgrade, new drive not recognized within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to upgrade my Dell 1525 from 80gig to 320 using a hitachi hard drive. I cloned the

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to upgrade my Dell 1525 from 80gig to 320 using a hitachi hard drive. I cloned the new drive with usb connection and enclosure using new sata hard drive. Old drive is sata. clone works as drive is recognized when hooked up via usb cable and data is there. When i put the new drive in bios starts but clone drive is not booted. Did this a few times with different cloning software. same result. What did I do wrong????
Thanks for helping

Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Hi,

What cloning program(s) did you use for the job? Did you make sure to select the relevent option along the lines of 'sector-by-sector' or 'raw' copy mode (depending on what software you used)? It probably isn't booting because the boot sector hasn't been copied from the old hard drive onto the new. Try it again, but make sure that every hard drive sector is copied because this will then include the boot sector required for the hard drive to become bootable.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

http://www.techhandbook.com/hardware...e-another.html
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for replying to my issue.
For the record, I have tried Migrate Easy, HDClone and xxclone each in turn but they were only the DEMO or FREEWARE versions. Yes they do NOT copy the OS files and the clone is non bootable. I believe now that I used the correct procedures but the free versions do not copy the OS files. XXClone would not allow me to select drives so I may have done something wrong there. Anyway I finally reinstalled the OS on my new drive, upgraded to Windows7 and then reinstalled all my programs and backedup files. Took me a day but now my computer is faster and leaner. Thanks again for helping.

By the way, I installed Win7 upgrade 32 bit. Can I later on reinstall 64 bit? Any issues there? My computer does support 64 Bit. What would the advantages be? A little faster, I guess.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Hi,

You can install 64-bit Windows, but if it's in place of a 32-bit installation it needs to be a clean installation due to the vastly different architecture of 64-bit. In other words your programs/files will not be retained.

As for advantages, 64-bit systems are designed to read a lot more RAM, 32-bit is theoretically limited to 4GB (although it's more like 3-3.5GB in practice due to hardware addressing). Thus 64-bit is a more future-proof OS architecture. Also certain programs optimised for 64-bit systems may receive a small performance boost depending on what the program is and how well it's been optimised, e.g. the 64-bit version of Adobe Photoshop CS4 supposedly promises a performance boost of between 8-12% for image rendering, the unofficial 64-bit build of Mozilla Firefox apparently increases the image/webpage rendering speed.

One thing to watch out for with 64-bit however is hardware drivers, you'll need specific 64-bit drivers for all your special peripherals such as wireless mouse, scanner, printer etc. This means that if you cannot get a 64-bit driver for your favourite device, you're done for (at least until the manufacturer releases a 64-bit driver anyway).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Registered Member

yes thanks, that was a very concise summary. I'll look into that for the future upgrades.