Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Corrupted and unreadable harddrive

This is a discussion on Corrupted and unreadable harddrive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Im not the best at computer or in that case english out there so please bare with me :) I

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Im not the best at computer or in that case english out there so please bare with me :)

I have been having some minor problems with my secondary harddrive the last day or so..Yesterday i had to restart and fiddle some with the power to it to make the computer recognize it cause it simply wasnt there...but after a few tries it was so i didnt think much about it....Then after another restart the computer couldnt find it at all.So i tried a System restore to the day before...when i then had to restart the startup scan found and replaced all sorts of corrupted files. It then worked fine again.
The computer stayed on the rest of the night and when i restarted it some time this evening it happend again...just this time C: was now F: and it was shown in My computer only when i click on it it says " F:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"
if i go to the properties of it it says "File system: RAW" instead of "File system: NTFS" like it normally does...
Under the properties it says that this device is working properly....it kinda doesnt! lol

ive also ran like 4 diffrent virus and ad aware scans..

Cant think of anything else i should mention..
So is it a lost cause and i need to send it in to some guys to recover my files? dunno how it can be that cause it was fine at one point and all broken the next...must be some way to fix it.

thanks in advance!

Old 06-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Welcome to TSF:

Your hard drive contents can be recovered with this program; its the king of data recovery as far as I am concerned.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...for-NTFS.shtml

once you have recovered (and back it up to another drive) your data; I strongly suggest you download your hard drive manufacture's diagnostic utility (free on their website) and check the mechanical health of your drive.

also:

please post your complete system specs with Power supply maker & size

dont hesitate to ask more questions

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 06-09-2006, 03:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks a bunch for the help mate!
But when the Getdataback thing had worked its wonders after 9 hours hehe it says that i have to pay to get the option to copy my stuff to a safe place...
Dont say my only option is to pay 79 dollars to do so?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

hey I too have been having the same sorta problem. I have a windows xp 2000 professional or w.e tower and I;m having a problem with it and viruses have made it so locked down. When I turn the comptuer on it seems to load normally then goes to a black screen and has a message that it cant turn on due to viruses and it dosnt want to mess it up and it gives me options like safe mode and so on, and as i try to do one of these options simply nothing happens but random code going off and i was wondering cause this program up there seems to catch my eye with restoring my files and stuff how would i go on to do so with the demo or even the actual program do i just put it into my computer and all new options will go up and i can copy/rip my desired files on my laptop or any safe place? also I have tired a method to take one of my drives out i beleive the main cannot remember and put it with another computer of mine as a slave and turned it on and everything was fine the loadup on the computer had a message recognizing it but when i got to my desktop and clicked my computer and went to click on the removeable disk drives to find it, it also had that this drive is not acessible or unreadable and coruppted. message. so basicaly I would like to know what should I do so then i can access into my messed up computer with this program to take the files off? or do i go on with the slave method and download that demo program or even the original and PRESTO! everything is fine?