Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer Won't Start-up; Won't Recognize HDD?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tyree 
#1 ·
I'm running an XP x64 machine and while it occasionally hangs up, normally I have no troubles. I used the computer fine on Thurs night, but yesterday when I turned the screens on, there was nothing. The computer was not sleeping, it was still fully powered on, but there was no signal to the monitors. I tried to restart it - nothing, I manually powered it down, waited, booted it back up - nothing.

I've tried this several times now and I can't get anything from it - it doesn't start up at all. I feel it is a harddrive issue because the red status light on the CPU goes on and remains solid how it normally does when it first starts up, but then it never starts blinking ... it remains solid, as if maybe it's trying to reach the HDD to boot up, but it cannot find it. This is my just my thought though, and while I have some insight into computers, I may be very wrong.

I'm a photographer and while I do regular backups, you can't get everything. This computer (HDD) is VERY important!!!

Any thoughts / direction would be much appreciated! Thank you!

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
The Hdd failing is a distinct possibility. Try to boot from a Linux CD or a diagnostic CD to bypass the Hdd.
UBD has Hdd diagnostics for most brands.
Please list your PC specs; Prebuilt-Brand and Model Number...Custom Built;Brand and Model Number Mobo-CPU-RAM-Hdd-graphics-PSU.

#5 ·
DBAN doesn't seem like what I need, for the description on their site -
"Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot disk that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction."

Unfort I don't have the specs handy for the computer ... it is a custom job, but several years old now and I forget most of what's in there. Got the local 'Geek Mobile' service coming over shortly ... hoping they'll figure it out ... otherwise I'll post those specs and keep this dialog going.

Thank you for your responses and assistance!

#7 ·
My SINCEREST apoligies! I meant UBD and NOT Dban.

GeorgeKS, it doesn't boot to the "Hdd". It might boot to a Linux CD confirming the hardware is good and the problem is the Hdd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.