Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Clicking noise

This is a discussion on Clicking noise within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Got a hard drive here that is recognized by Windows but not accessible by Windows. The drive was making a

Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Part Time Repair Tech

Got a hard drive here that is recognized by Windows but not accessible by Windows. The drive was making a clicking noise about every 2 1/2 seconds. It would do this for about 15 seconds then stop. I was able to use R-Studio and it appears to be recovering the data fine. R-Studio showed that there was some master file table errors.

My question is what might be causing these clicking sounds? It appears as though the master file table is damaged, but would some corrupted MFT sectors cause a clicking sound?

Old 03-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

clicking from a hard drive is 99.9% of the time the platters on the hard drive are failing which means it cant read or wite properly. So basically is dead.

backup your data ASAP

Microsoft Certified Professional
compTIA Certified Professional
greenbrucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Part Time Repair Tech

Quote:
clicking from a hard drive is 99.9% of the time the platters on the hard drive are failing which means it cant read or wite properly. So basically is dead.
So it's not a mechanical failure. It's just trying over and over to read but it can't because of bad sectors?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

yes but the read write heads can scratch against the disc causing more and more bad sectors. Clicking form a hard drive means only one thing, its knackered.

The platters can fail for many reasons not just mechanical, they can fail by over usage, they can fail due to atmospheric pressure, they can fail due to a simple tap about 45mm on the right hand side just below the middle.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Part Time Repair Tech

Quote:
yes but the read write heads can scratch against the disc causing more and more bad sectors. Clicking form a hard drive means only one thing, its knackered.
Is using R-Studio a sensible approach in this situations? Or would a high end forensics lab take a different approach such as sticking the platter in a "donor" drive?
Old 03-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

dont know much about R-studio to be honest. I would always go the forensics approach also download the hard drive manufacturers diagnostic tool to see what that says.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
R-Studio a sensible approach in this situations?
R-Studio or GetDataBack NTFS are the only DIY approach you can do to recover the data. Next step would be Data Recovery (forensic) which is quite expensive.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

I would expect that a commercial data recovery lab would use software methods to recover data as long it had good prospects of success. A platter swap must be done in a clean room and is one of the the most difficult procedures where there are any number of things that can go wrong. It is also very expensive.

I understand that R-Studio is among the best available for DIY use. Data recovery labs have other software available but the cost is prohibitive for amateur use.

Edit: You need to decide early on whether or not your data is worth the cost of professional recovery. If the drive has physical problems extensive DIY attempts may cause further damage and make recovery more difficult if not impossible.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card brand and model
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

clicking can also be caused by being underpowered