Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chkdsk Mixed up all my files??

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  PopuVamp 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
My Western Digital 1 TB external hard drive with many audio/video files just had a crash and it's all messed up now. What happened was I got this message:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility
then i restarted the computer and it automatically ran chdsk on the external drive and it gave me messages like this while running:

First: One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. and then:
in file 0x5 is incorrect.
00 00 01 ba 44 da 8d 32 96 03 01 89 c3 f8 00 00 ....D..2........
01 e0 07 ec 81 00 00 53 20 03 cb 16 53 87 14 12 .......S ...S...
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 5.
The index bitmap $I30 in file 0x5 is incorrect.
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 5.
The down pointer of current index entry with length 0x18 is invalid...

Once it was all done it seemed like everything was fine, all my files and folders showed up. The problem is all my files are MIXED UP. so when i open up a video/audio file a totally different files starts playing. So the filenames are no longer associated with the correct data, and the files are all jumbled together even though the file names are all intact. Other files just won't open at all. I've run a few hard disk checks (Chkdsk and the western digital lifeguard diagnostics extended test) and everything is fine, no bad sectors or anything. but now my files seems to be totally messed up and mixed together, is there any way to fix this? It seems like when chkdsk fixed the file system structure it screwed up everything......
Any ideas? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
The problem could be due to a few issues. You should however start off my taking the hard drive out of the external enclosure and hooking it up internally within your computer - can you read the files on the drive? Are they as they 'should' be (i.e. not mixed up and mentioned above)?

#3 ·
I doubt chkdisk did this but whatever corrupted the drive did.

Do as advised above. Run a virus scan and dowload the drive manufacturers diagnostic tool and check the drive with it.

Were you defraggin the drive when this error occurred?

#4 ·
Actually, yes, chkdsk probably did do this, chkdsk will recover simple file indexing errors, but can cause severe file system damage in other cases where the damge to the MFT is severe. When drives come in for recovery in similar cases we go straight to software recovery. Try r-studio and getdataback in demo modes and see which does the best job of finding your files. You can then register that program and copy the data out to another disk. After the data is safe, download MHDD bootable CD image from hddguru.com and run SCAN and REMAP to check and reallocate any slow or errored sectors at the physical level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.