Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Check cable connection.. ! PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM Boot Error

This is a discussion on Check cable connection.. ! PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM Boot Error within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an acer aspire one with a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB HDD. A few days ago this message appeared

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an acer aspire one with a Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB HDD. A few days ago this message appeared -
Check cable connection.. !
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
Boot Error
- but it disappeared when I tilted the netbook. BIOS doesn't see the HDD>

After that I ran seatools on windows on it and everything was okay but today I am receiving the same error. What is wrong? It is correctly recognized when I place it in an external enclosure.

Is it the netbook itself since it no longer charges my battery either now. It has the latest 1.13 bios.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

If I placed the HDD in an external enclosure and plug it into the netbook, it'll boot but wouldn't successfully load win7. I briefly saw a BSOD before it restarted and now it is running the startup repair

Old 11-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

The best way to test the drive would be to connect it to another PC and test with the manufacturers disk tools.

The PXE error that you are seeing, is I believe a hardware level error (ie: motherboard/BIOS). Which could indicate a HDD, cabling, or motherboard issue.

Google is your Friend!
Old 11-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

I haven't tested the HDD when connected to another computer but I just found out why it worked the first time I saw that error.

When I first enter the BIOS the HDD is not recognized but the second time I enter the BIOS the HDD is there and everything loads as usual.

When in an external enclosure, windows XP/7 wouldn't load but Ubuntu will - it shows show WMID(sp?) error but it finishes. Is the exact code for the BSOD useful?

How could I check if the BIOS/motherboard is dying? I'm scanning the HDD now on another win7 machine using seatools
Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

SMART test didn't ran in the enclosure - it passed the Short DST and Generic, and the Long DST. Didn't run the Long Generic since I think it is just a shorter version of Long DST - am I wrong? Should I have ran the DOS version

Maybe I should have brought the extended warranty for this netbook. It is only 1.5yrs old - I thought it would have lasted longer.... Would the entire thing not work eventually.

Forgot to mention that I just noticed that the time has been reversed. Yesterday on Sunday when I turned it on, all of a sudden it said it was Saturday at 8pm instead of Sunday at noon. It went backwards in time for like 16hrs.... is that an internal battery problem?

Now should I get another netbook and have to transfer data over too, fix this netbook if possible, or buy something that is as light weight, portable and have a long battery life that is more powerful?

I installed Ubuntu along side the win7/xp. Why is it that ubuntu can access all the windows files but windows doesn't see the ubuntu part at all. If I place this in an enclosure and plug it into another windows machine, I can't access the win7/xp files.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

If the drive passed the standard short and long test, it is likely good.

Not much you can do in the form of motherboard testing. But as the HDD tested good, and you get errors when it's connected to the NetBook, the only thing left is the motherboard.

Google is your Friend!
Closed Thread