Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Cant View External Hard Drive

This is a discussion on Cant View External Hard Drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, My Maxtor external hard drive has been working fine, until yesterday when i click on it it says

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All,

My Maxtor external hard drive has been working fine, until yesterday when i click on it it says to re format the drive. When i plug it in i can see the drive still, its only when you click on it it says to re format it and there should be about 89gb on it, but it shows as 0.

I have downloaded recovery software, but the drive cant even be seen by the software, i have tried 3 different types

Your help would be really appreciated as it has photos on there, which are really important.

Kind regards
Mark

Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What software have you tried? In device manager how is the drive identified as make and model? What is it identified as in BIOS?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi

It says Universal Serial Bus controllers
Compatible USB storage device
Port_#0003.Hub_#0007

Hope this is what you needed.

I have tried Pareto and another one but i have deleted it, sorry.

How do locate the info from the BIOS please?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

P.S Apprecaite this as it contains our childrens photos and videos on it, so my wife may not kill me :)
Old 02-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

You need to look under disk drives in Device manager to see the disk.. Duriong startup you should see a prompt Press F2 or Press F-10 or maybe press delete to enter setup. Which key it is will depend on your system. On the first page of the Bios setup you should see the drives listed.
I would suggest you download the demo version of r-studio and run that against the drive. There are pretty good docs included with it, not a difficult program to use. If it lists your files then you can purchase a license to recover, About $49.00 US. You will need another drive with sufficient space to recover them too tho.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the software, i can now see the drive and i have run the scan, it sees some of the files, but i get this error
i/o device error (1117)

Can this be fixed?