Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Can't Play DVDs from External Hard Drive

This is a discussion on Can't Play DVDs from External Hard Drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently I bought a Western Digital WDG1U5000 My Book Essential Edition 500 GB Hard Drive. I am able to play

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Recently I bought a Western Digital WDG1U5000 My Book Essential Edition 500 GB Hard Drive. I am able to play many music and video files that are stored on the drive, but when I try to play DVDs I have copied to the drive the computer stops recognizing the drive, and I have to reset it.

I am using WinDVD. I am able to play other video files, such as .mpg and .avi, from the external hard drive with this program. I am just not able to play DVDs. When I click on "Open DVD from Folder" and then go to the "VIDEO_TS" folder the computer pauses while displaying the hourglass for about 10 seconds. Then nothing happens (I don't get an error message, the DVD just doesn't play). Then a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark pops up in the task bar. When I right click on it, it disappears. When I go to Windows Explorer, the E drive is listed, but it has no contents. When I restart the computer, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is gone, and the E drive is no longer shown in Windows Explorer.

When this first happened, I called Western Digital's tech support line. They led me through restarting the drive, so that the computer would recognize it again (no data was lost). They said that it might have happened because I had the drive power cable plugged into a power strip and the USB cable plugged into a USB hub. The power cord is now plugged directly into the wall and the USB cable directly into the computer's USB port, but the problem continues to happen.

Also I have been able to play DVDs that are in the D drive (DVD-RW) in WinDVD since this problem started happening. It just happens with DVDs stored on the E drive.

When I bought this drive it was formatted as FAT32, but I re-formatted to NTFS. (Might this have anything to do with the problem?)

Other information: Hewlett Packard HP Pavilion ze2000, Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2, Intel Celeron M 1.50 GHz, 224 MB of RAM.

Please let me know if you need any other information. Thank you.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:00 AM   #2
Tech Hardware Team

When you put the dvd copies on the drive it was fat32. Then you
converted to ntfs, that could very well be the issue. If you still have
the original dvd, try and put it on the external drive now, see what
happens. Fat32 probably could not handle the size of the dvd.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

I converted the drive to NTFS before I put the DVDs on it. Is there anything else that might be causing this problem?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Tech Hardware Team

For some reason windvd may not be associating with the external.
You may try downloading k-lite codec pack, or coles, this may help
as it will associate with all. Just a suggestion cant hurt. First time
Ive ran across this problem.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack, but the problem still persists. Is there anything else I can do?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

I have now also installed all Microsoft Windows Updates (including driver updates). I also checked Hewlett-Packard's website for driver updates (I installed an update for the WinDVD Player). The problem continues to happen.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

I was able to get the DVDs to play when I tried playing them in Windows Media Player, but the picture quality was bad. I downloaded and installed Media Player Classic, and it is able to play the DVDs correctly.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:14 AM   #8
Tech Hardware Team

Glad you got it worked out. With all the different video formats out
there it can be a mind boggler, if thats a word, lol