Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Cannot access my SimpleTech HD Drive, says it needs to be formatted?

This is a discussion on Cannot access my SimpleTech HD Drive, says it needs to be formatted? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have recently discovered that I cannot access my external hard drive. I receive a pop-up window saying: "This drive

Old 02-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3

I have recently discovered that I cannot access my external hard drive. I receive a pop-up window saying: "This drive is not formatted, would you like to format it? Yes/No." I haven't clicked the format button because I need the data on the drive. I'm running Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3, and I have done some reading and believe it's doing this because I didn't safely eject the drive a time I removed it. I have attempted to use TestDisk for Windows, but it isn't displaying the correct amount of memory for the drive, the drive is 1 terabyte but only 100 and something Kilobytes are shown. Any other ways to fix this? It displays the file storage as RAW.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via Yahoo to Rits

Try to recover your data using Test disk/ Photo rec feature and then format your drive.

You can also try to check for any lost partition in test disk.

Rits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Make sure you have the correct power adapter that came with the drive.If not, it will cause this problem. Also, be sure you are plugging the power adapter directly into the Wall socket and not through a Surge Protector or Extension cord, as this will diminish the power. You can also remove the HDD from the enclosure and attach it to a USB Adapter, if the logic board in the enclosure has failed.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 3

@spunk.funk: I am using the correct power adapter and plugging it into a wall socket with enough power, and I'll try taking it apart if all else fails.

@Rits: I have tried using TestDisk, but it shows the incorrect amount of memory for the drive, and TestDisk says it needs to show the correct memory amount in order to be recovered correctly.

Could it be the MBR? If so, how to I fix that, do I need my original OS disk?