Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Can I transfer my internal hard drives operating system to a external Hard drive.

This is a discussion on Can I transfer my internal hard drives operating system to a external Hard drive. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an operating systen that came with my new acer laptop and i want to use an external hard

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have an operating systen that came with my new acer laptop and i want to use an external hard drive as a back up in case the internal gets damaged. is there a way I can do this.
If my internal hard drive became damaged is there a way i can use the external as my primary drive.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

You can backup your current installation image to an external drive but you will not be able to run it from there. Microsoft does not support running any version of Windows from an external drive. This is not a viable option.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
computer wizard

you can clone your internal hdd to your external hdd ,partition your external hdd,partition it enough so you can clone your o/s to your new partition,after that dont put any files on your new partition leave it as it is,if you need to put file on your external hdd save them on the rest of the hdd ,dont save them were you have cloned windows,now if you do have a disater all you do is swap the drives around,of course you will need a program to clone your drives,i use acronis,hope this helps

http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputi...cts/trueimage/

if you need to buy it buy it from amazon half the price,the link i give you is for trial,you cant clone in trial mode you will have to purchase
Old 12-16-2010, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
You can backup your current installation image to an external drive but you will not be able to run it from there. Microsoft does not support running any version of Windows from an external drive. This is not a viable option.
How does being an external HD change anything. How is the Operating System going to be able to tell the difference between an external drive, etc...?

Why does it matter WHERE the HD is?
Old 12-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

Windows can very easily tell the difference between an internal and external drive. There are also a number of technical differences between them. Microsoft does not support running Windows on an external drive. There is also a question as to it's legality. This is not a good idea.