Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

Can I stop DBAN mid-pass?

This is a discussion on Can I stop DBAN mid-pass? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Long story short I discovered a rootkit in my registry and decided to DBAN the hard drive and reinstall Windows

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Long story short I discovered a rootkit in my registry and decided to DBAN the hard drive and reinstall Windows 7 (had only recently upgraded, so I'm not really losing anything). I accidentally set it to do 2 rounds and three passes and let it run while I was at work. It's currently on the final pass of round 3, but it's been taking a bit longer and I'd like to do my fresh install now. Would it hurt at all to stop DBAN in the middle of a pass, since the HDD has already been run over a few times, or should I just wait out the final hours and then proceed? Thanks!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Yes you can stop it anytime you want to. Since Windows isn't running just power down the computer (press & hold the computer's power-button for 5 seconds), or if it's a laptop just press the laptop's power button and release it.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, appreciate it.